The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was researching in the past few days for a small powerhead to add to my 20g high low tech tank. Currently the only water movement I get is from a aquaclear 50 that flows water back in the center of the tank for maximum nutrients propagation. It's not "bad" as per say but I figured a small powerhead along with moving the HOB filter to one side of the tank would create a more uniform nutrient distribution.

Will researching, I found out that some UV sterilizer (ie Green killing Machine) came mounted with a powerhead so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone (my water is clear but shows some greenish coloring) by going this route. Thing is my tank is a 20g and those submersible UV sterilizer are HUGE!

So that brings me to my topic : while researching I came up with this product and wanted to hear your thougths before hitting the purchase button! Aquatop PF40-UV or PF25-UV (for some reason the PF40-UV is cheaper here in Canada).

That would give me :
- UV sterilization (without taking space in the tank)
- Backup filtration
- Better water circulation (2 hob filters, 1 at each end of the tank)
- Surface skimmer (a bonus I guess it will help with the slight film I have at surface right now)

What do you think? GO or NO? Other options?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't know if you need both units on 20 gallon. I use the aquaclear 50 on my 20 gallon quarantine tank. It has kept my water clear. If I were you I would cut my lighting down and try to get rid of the green water that way. The thing with green water is it only seem to come in new tanks and once you get taken care of it doesn't seem to come back. On small tanks the
Aquatop PF40-UV is a good way to go. The bad part if the pump fail the whole thing fails. Aquatop also makes units that just a pump and a uv light no other filter which can be moved from tank to tank to. If you have more than one tank they are good way to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if you need both units on 20 gallon. I use the aquaclear 50 on my 20 gallon quarantine tank. It has kept my water clear. If I were you I would cut my lighting down and try to get rid of the green water that way. The thing with green water is it only seem to come in new tanks and once you get taken care of it doesn't seem to come back. On small tanks the
Aquatop PF40-UV is a good way to go. The bad part if the pump fail the whole thing fails. Aquatop also makes units that just a pump and a uv light no other filter which can be moved from tank to tank to. If you have more than one tank they are good way to go.
yeah I know I won't need both, figured I could just dialed down the flow on both. Thing is the aquatop unit (pump and uvlight only) are not HOB and they would take too much real estate in my small tank...

Also, the cost for the HOB filter + uv is the same as the submersed uvlight + pump... And for now I only have 1 tank atm, but knowing myself this is something that could change real soon!

·
Registered
179 Posts
i use a green killing machine. it flows very very slowly. most power heads on UV filters are focused on contact time, so they really don't put out much flow.
I bet the HOB ones would be better if you are trying to get more circulation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.