The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought that I would start a journal of my new set up. I have been out of planted tanks for about 1 year after concentrating on my 34 gallon reef, but I have been itching recently to get back in and had to wear down the wife until she finally said yes :)

I was looking for the Mr. Aqua 17 gallon as I really liked the dimensions. My old planted tank was a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long, and although I enjoyed that tank, I thought that it didn’t have the ideal dimensions I was looking for in order to watch schools of fish swim, which is what I like most about freshwater set-ups.

It was tough to find a Mr. Aqua 17 gallon, but I eventually found one on an auction site. Two days after the seller told me the tank shipped I sent them an email asking for a tracking number. After that email I was told that they didn’t have any more tanks, and they were going to send me a refund. Thanks for holding my money all this time without telling me. This is a huge store and I was really surprised that they didn’t offer me something else of comparative value, or had an accurate inventory system.

The new Aquatop High Clarity Tanks appealed to me so I found a seller and decided to go with the 12.7 gallon model.

I received the tank yesterday, and the packaging was very well done. The quality of this tank is really impressive, the seams and the silicone are darn near flawless, and the glass is crystal clear. I will take some close up shots later so you can see what I mean, and I would definitely recommend these tanks to anyone looking for a good alternative to a HC Mr. Aqua or an ADA.

I was kind of surprised at the dimensions at first, and I guess I didn’t look at them too closely, but this tank is actually 23.6 x 8 x 15.75, it is kind of like a stunted, tall 12 gallon long. I didn’t expect it to be so tall and thin, but oh well, plenty of space for fish, but it might make aquascaping a challenge.

Leak test passed.

Equipment List

AquaTop High Clarity Aquarium Tall, 12.7 Gallons, 23.6x8x15.75
SunSun HW-303B 4-Stage External Canister Filter 370GPH
Current Satellite Plus Freshwater
Hydor ETH 200 In-Line External Aquarium Heater, 200w, 5/8" hose
Caribsea Super Naturals Aquarium Sand, 20-Pound, Crystal River
Lily pipes

Plant List-

Anubias Petite
Peacock Moss
Salvinia Minima
Anubias Nana 'Micro'
Microsorum pteropus (Java Fern)

This is going to be a Seiryu Stone driftwood layout with no CO2 for now. I received my plants yesterday from Han’s Aquatics and they are chilling in my daughter’s Fluval Spec.

I am still waiting on my pipes, heater and sand, so I can’t start aquascaping until next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is very...elegent. it has a beatiful modern feel. A diffused white background would be very nice on this tank. My only thought is to not over plant. You have such a strong hardscape the plants should accent it rather than over run it. Just my thoughts. Very nice job.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is very...elegent. it has a beatiful modern feel. A diffused white background would be very nice on this tank. My only thought is to not over plant. You have such a strong hardscape the plants should accent it rather than over run it. Just my thoughts. Very nice job.
Thanks.
That's the plan, hopefully I am successful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is a gorgeous setup, so pristine!

Thanks very much for the ADA alternative tank review, list of equipment and plants.

Ember tetras would look so elegant.

Bump:
Maybe a back-lit diffused white background!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a gorgeous setup, so pristine!

Thanks very much for the ADA alternative tank review, list of equipment and plants.

Ember tetras would look so elegant.

Bump:

Maybe a back-lit diffused white background!
Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pic update.
I planted a few weeks ago and letting things grow out a little. This is a nearly zero maintenance tank, just a few fresh water top offs a week and a little fish food daily.

Added about 5 black angelfish.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, Angels will have to go, eventually. Sigh.

Bump:
This tank has some interesting dimensions. The wood piece is pretty tall too, so it's nice that you're making the best of its size. Zero maintenance is so much less stressful. The quality of the tank itself is also impressive from the photos.
Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have a nice setup, but even forgetting the tank size they need it throws a scale of the nice scape you setup way off. A nice school of embers or another small of tetras would go great.
I know, I wish I could find some locally.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would love an update as well!

Hi. Sorry I missed that some of you requested an update. I decided to go a little bigger so I moved everything over to a new 22 gallon long from AquaMaxx. Just as nice as the AquaTop in my opinion.
The white sand looks great and all, but I don't think that it is sustainable long term for the health of the tank. It's a big nitrate trap, quickly turning brown and looking like poop. If anyone knows of any success with the sand long term, let me know.
I switched over to some Pure Water Pebbles gravel. It is a little more beige than I would have liked, (pic online had some blue and grey hues that looked cool) I dig the texture. Time to stock.
22 Long.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts