The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a AC50 filter on my 23G aquarium. I want to buy a canister filter and I don't know what to choose. I could buy an aquatop CF300 for 130$ which I have heard could review about it. Someone also wants to sell me his used eihem 2213 for 60$ or his 2215 for 90$. What do you think about buying a used canister filter? Which filter would suit best for my aquarium? I could also buy 2 ahem 150.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I've bought several used canisters and find there are a few points to look at before buying. One is to hear it run. When n impeller or shaft is worn, it can make noise and those items are pretty expensive, so people do try to pass their problem on to you. Hear it run without almost totally silent so that you have to feel the vibration on the can. For the smaller size Eheim, I feel those prices are a bit high for my area but that varies in places.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The one big advantage of Eheim is that you can get parts for most them. This can be very difficult for some other canisters. So, even if you find a problem later, you can still repair it and get it running like new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm from canada so it's more expensive on amazon.ca. I'll definitely take a look at the SunSun! But now only talking about quality, should I go with a aquatop/SunSun or Eheim?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm from canada so it's more expensive on amazon.ca. I'll definitely take a look at the SunSun! But now only talking about quality, should I go with a aquatop/SunSun or Eheim?
Quality=eheim value however is sunsun it works just as well I have a 2 year old still going strong.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've got both Eheims and a SunSun (same as Aquatop). I'd go with the Eheim, but the SunSun has worked pretty well for me, too.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I don't have the Sun Sun on hand to compare but find there are some general things that Eheim may do better. That might give you some specifics to look at on both.
What type and quality of media is included with both. Some of the cheaper do not provide media and it can be a hassle to DIY or expense to buy good media. I find the Eheim impeller shaft is ceramic which is a much better thing as it is much tougher. No rusting or bending as well as less prone to scoring if sand gets next to the shaft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright guys, I'll go with the eheim 2213.

I would like to add purigen to my filter to remove tannins from my water and to get it crystal clear (I've heard this stuff is magic). what I was thinking was maybe using my ac50 for mechanical filtration and my eheim for biological/polishing(purigen) since the eheim has a lower flow rating. Do you think this is a good idea? If not, what should I do to make best use of both my filter considering I want to use purigen?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I would go bigger than eheim 2213. I had a 2215 on my 21.5 gallon and thought it was too little flow, so I ended up buying a 2217 impeller for the 2215. I could have just gone with a 2217 but a 2215 with a 2217 impeller should be fine.

Bump: People do that. Use canister as mostly biological and HOB as mostly mechanical. Others just use one big canister to do both.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Just my 2cents... i heard good reviews on sunsun, mine lasted 8 months before it died. Would over heat and cut out every couple minutes. Personally i wouldn't buy again. Maybe i got a lemon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts