The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I went to Aquatic Warehouse to go get some amano shrimp, which they regularly carry, or they just have it when I go there, but today, they had freakin bee shrimp! They were labeled "Bumble bee" shrimp so I took the chance and bought some, and they seem to be real Diamond/Bee Shrimp! Guess what else else? There was also Zebra shrimp mixed in with the Bee shrimp!

YOU KNOW WUT ELSE?!?!?!?!

ONLY 2.99 EACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amano were 1.99 each! AMAZING!

WUTS BETTER, IS THAT THEY HAD MICRORASBORAS!!

They had scissortail rasboras, and exclamatio point rasboras, and I think they have one more but I just don't remember.

WUTS EVEN BETTER, IS THAT THEY HAD Dario dario!!!! I didn't buy any of the fish but I bought shrimp!

I'm sorry if this is old news.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! I was looking for a good deal on Amano shrimp. :) Hopefully they will still have some when I pop in there.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, don't remember price for micros. About 4 bucks a piece?

Plant selection is getting better everytime I go there, but not much still compared to Japan's lfs's lol, but better than any other I have been to in San Diego. They actually got a new tank for plants, and saw some new plants are in stock. Heard they are getting their plant selection way up, and also getting ADA products soon, so this will be my new favorite place.

Just be careful because they put ghost shrimp with their amanos, and if you get a saltwater guy to help you and you ask for amano shrimp, make sure you get amano and not ghost shrimp! I asked the guy for amanos and he got me ghost shrimp... But he's saltwater and he gave me real amanos later so I'm happy!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Went and checked it out today, seems like they have a lot of stuff, a freshwater fish section in back and various plants for sale.
The shrimp tank is a mix of cherry shrimp, bee, bumble bee, and some glass looking shrimp.
Pretty cluttered, but tons of parts and "stuff" crammed into that store. It's in an industrial park looking mall behind the courthouse.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yeah, AW rocks. They've been my fav LFS for a long time now. Their staff is also much friendlier than the other good-sized LFS's in San Diego.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hey! I just got back from AW too! That shrimp tank only had 4 bees left and I bought them ($2.99 each). Sam said he would be ordering more. Good deal on amano's too! 5 for $9.00! I picked up 5 of them. They also Corydoras pygmaeus for $1.99 each! This is a great store!! They will definitely see more of me! :)

BTW, I talked to Sam about the ADA stuff. He said he is having trouble with the supplier. They increased the prices by 20% on him. :(

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oooo that f*cking sucks about the ADA stuff... Guess ADG will be cheapest. Yah I bought what they called Corydoras Pygmaeus there too, but it in reality were Corydoras Hasbrosus. When I went there, they had like 10 pygmaeus in there that I found in the pile of 50 hasbrosus... They should really label there stuff right. And they should really avoid putting their ghost shrimp in with amano shrimp, bee shrimp etc.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Eh, atleast everyone was healthy looking. No random dead floaters stuck to the filters, fish eating each other. They need an interior decorator though... I tell you, they could cram in more tanks if they had a bit of organization. And it totally looks like they need more tanks!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...holy crap one of my cories just died lol. Well he's with shrimp and nitrates nitrites ammonia and ph were completely fine. I'm guessing they weren't at excellent health while there. Shrimp are fine and other cories were fine. I was noticing one hiding under the filter sponge and not moving much. This morning he was fine, and afternoon, he is dead. I also remember squishing one while trying to net one out of the bag... I remember I hit SOMETHING. Probably him. RIP little fella. Right now it is shrimp food in my 10 gallon.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sandiegoryu: Sorry to hear about the loss of your cory. I agree with the need of proper labeling. I'm sure I got the cory pygmaeus. They were housed with another type of cory, but I wasn't sure what kind.

I too saw all healthy looking fish/invertebrates. The layout is disorganized, but it was nice getting lost in the sea of fish. LOL

I was hoping to score some ADA stuff too. Sam brought up that he knew most of us go online to buy that stuff, so he didn't see how he could feasibly make a profit if he got that stuff. I dunno? Have to wait and see how it all pans out.

BTW, my AW purchases are doing fine so far. The problem is locating the 4 bees. They were small and of course they reside in a 55g planted tank. It's like trying to find Waldo in there. LOL

·
Registered
506 Posts
AW is usually pretty good about weak fish. I've seen them Q an entire bank of tanks as well as entire shipments when they see excessive die-offs.

We'll see if ADG can do better as a supplier. If not, there is one more possibility I'll try.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol. I have trouble finding 5 in a 2 gallon! But I always manage to. Its not even heavily planted yet!

Wow, as I am writing this, I look in my tank and another one is dead :-0!!!!

OK something in my water is wrong here. Shrimp are fine... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wuts happening here!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Another one? That's terrible! Sorry :( I tried keeping panda corys, but they kept dying on me. All my other inhabitants were fine, but the panda corys would just disappear, then I would find the dead somewhere in the tank. I thought maybe it was the 3M black colorquartz sand I had in my tank (top layer). It was pretty sharp and I figured their barbels were being injured by it. I dunno?? That top layer is now pretty much gone and I'm trying my hand at the pygmies, so hopefully they will do much better.

Have you checked your water parameters?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yes nitrates at 10 nitrites 0, but no check for ammonia. I did a water change after finding nitrates were at 10, so probably near 0 right now. I would assume my shrimp would die before my cories if ammonia were present. My substrate is aquasoil, and a soil called "Shrimp Ichiban Sand" which kind of means shrimp best sand. It's pretty much the same thing as aquasoil, just smaller grain. I dunno about plant growing, but my HC is doing great in it! Well back to the subject...

What I am really afraid is that the cories are not eating. They don't seem to go nuts for the Hikari crab bites. Neither do my shrimp but they eat it. So I tried like 2 flakes and they didn't go nuts over that either. Neither did the shrimp surprisingly. I hope this is normal, cuz if they shrimp found it, they would nibble nibble nibble, scavenge again. Amano shrimp would steal one whole pellet of hikari, nibble it for a minute, and then throw it away. Very strange. On the other hand my cherries go bananas over it. I remember one pellet got the whole population right up in front of the glass.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Where did you buy your Shrimp Ichiban sand?

How are the rest of your corys doing?

Mine are doing great and so are the amanos, but I'm still having trouble finding any of my bees. :( I saw one yesterday though. They were tiny, lil juvies. I hope AW gets more in, I want to buy 10 more at least!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did anyone happen to notice when they went down there if they had nice looking Bolivian rams?

I'm planning on buying some from them if they happen to have them in stock. I bought my German Blue rams from them and they are beautiful!

Best fish place I have been to, but I have heard good things about Octopus Garden.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sry for a very late response to your question Color_Me_Blue, but I got the shrimp ichiban sand from japan. My bee shrimp are doing fine, but yesterday I noticed 1 is gone. Just disappeared. Or maybe he's hiding. It's only a 2 gallon tank, and I always see the same exact 4 shrimp. Can't find the fifth one.

Well I started with 5, and now I have 2... 3 died one by one, and the 2 are now happy in the tank. very strange deaths. I couldn't explain it. Shrimps lived, but not the 3 cories. Weird.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Damn, Solstice told me to check out the place when I was in San Diego over Xmas but didn't have the chance, too much on the schedule "planned" for me....I'll have to make sure that lfs shopping is in the plan for next time!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts