The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
To test it you mean? You can Google the species name to see if its either/or or both...otherwise, dunk it in water. If it dies, it's non-aquatic. You can post pics on this forum to have people help you ID it too.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Well, If i was to guess...
Non aquatic plants are usually tougher and waxier than aquatic plants...
terrestrial plant builds a waxy layer on their leaves to hold in water.. Aquatic plants are in water, so they don't build that waxy layer and will look matted, not shiny.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Well, If i was to guess...
Non aquatic plants are usually tougher and waxier than aquatic plants...
terrestrial plant builds a waxy layer on their leaves to hold in water.. Aquatic plants are in water, so they don't build that waxy layer and will look matted, not shiny.
But then you have plants with both submerged and emersed growth.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
mostly look at the stem structure non aquatic plant stems like wooby and not straight up, non aquatic plants would have the stems of a spinach that is bunched together and dumped into the water

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
So is there a set way to determine whether a plant is aquatic or nonaquatic? :icon_roll
The link above looks like a good list. If you find that you bought a non aquatic and were told otherwise, RETURN IT and make a fuss. My wife brought home a "true aquatic" similar to Pineapple plant in one of those neat gel packages with "true aquatic" listed. I figure most of the plants die and the keeper gets the impression that plants are hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.