The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has had an issue with an aquatek solenoid shutting off even though it is plugged in and suppose to be running?

Yesterday I came home and noticed there was no co2 going to my tank. Pressure was fine (40psi), tank is still full. Its on a timer and has been working fine for the last 3 months. Finally got it working by turning off the surge protector its connected to and then turning it back on.

Same thing happened today except after turning it off and back on, the solenoid shut off bye itself after 30secs of use.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Black solenoid with a black plastic rectangle body?
You may be seeing an early stage of failure that is common with this type solenoid.
In my opion, they are not a really good solenoid due to design. They have a sliding plunger insdie which slides to open or close. When the power goes off, there is a spring to return the slide. The problem seems to be the way we use them. When we run them long periods like we do they tend to build up heatwhich wroks it's way into the slide gizmo. At some point this heat does the lube on the slide in so that it gets harder to slide open/close. Oil and heat are not good for each other?
I'm guessing what you are seeing is the slide is beginning to stick, sometimes off, sometimes on. When you got it working by turning the power on/off, it was kind of "bumping" it until it moved.
I really like a solenoid that many do not favor. I find the Clippard Mouse series to be a very good solenoid for several reasons. It uses very tiny power which keeps it cool and the design doesn't use a slide type valve. It uses a small wafer type valve something like used in carbs on weedeater and lawnmowers. They operate thousands (millions?) of time an hour on engines so they should last us nearly forever on our uses. The downside is that the Mouse series does use a small 10-32 fitting which many feel is too weak. But I love it if it makes a solenoid that may last forever?

·
Registered
835 Posts
like PlantedRich said, it's simply a flawed design. I have an Aquatek Mini as well, and it's kind of a hit or miss any given day. Hoping to buy a better unit soon.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I have one doing the same thing. Just the luck of the draw as I have 2 .
This pretty well hits it on the head. While we would like to think all the little gizmos are made the same there are always tiny little differences. Some springs are a bit different, some the sliding part or the channel may have small defects or burrs on the finish. Even the coil or the lube being just a bit different can change the whole game.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
If it is the one I have in mind, there is hope. Takes just a bit of grit to step into something that may/may not work, right? If it is not working, I feel better about an attempt at repair.
In this case, do you have four screw heads that might release the body from the coil? I have had some success in taking those out and pulling the sliding plunger out. If you can determine first whether it is sticking open or closed before you take it apart, it may give you a clue. Work slowly and hold it so that no parts get lost? They don't fly off but they are small. I found a spring, a metal sliding part and maybe a flat item at the end . If you look these over and find them totally dry and maybe not showing any signs of lube, you may get lucky with just a small rub to get the old caked lube off and then a touch of Vasoline. Knock off any burrs or grit? Reassemble and see how she goes?
If it looks like it is the return spring not having enough force, you have to get a bit into a bit more "delicate" decision. You need to find a spring of exact size but a touch stronger or you may find adding just a tiny amount of something to give the spring a small amount of length will make it work again.
Not a quarantee of success and not for those in a rush but it does sometimes work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.