The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if somebody could give me a straight forward explanation of this. I've read that after a couple years AS melts away?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It breaks down into what tho? Does it just go from little grainules to mud or something? And does that mean I have to replace every so often?

·
Dwarf Fish Lover
464 Posts
It breaks down to dirt, As what it original was. From what I have learned, when the soil breaks down badly, there will be minimum gas exchange in the substrate, in the other word, the root can't breath well. Then it's the time for you to change your substrate. However, if u keep the soil well maintained, it will last longer.

I don't know if I answered your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems like a lot of work and money replacing AS like that. To prevent that, what kind of maintenance should I be sure to address? I've also noticed there aren't really any places to buy AS online. Seems like rare stuff or something.

·
Dwarf Fish Lover
464 Posts
It seems like a lot of work and money replacing AS like that. To prevent that, what kind of maintenance should I be sure to address? I've also noticed there aren't really any places to buy AS online. Seems like rare stuff or something.
Keep your eyes on the fish load; do not over feed; siphon the substrate. Basically just keep then substrate clean. Do not up root and replant all the time.

Two main sources to buy AS online
Are either ADG in Houston or AFA in San Francisco. Some local fish shop carry them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts