The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Recently (and in the past) I've been asked quite a bit about my aquasketch work. Since I think it's a useful tool for me, it might help others to envision their tanks sooner. So, I did a tutorial. :)

For this, you'll need photoshop, but even older/freebie versions of photoshop should work for what I do . . . Well, enjoy. You got to full view it:

For many of my aquasketches, I hand-drew everything instead of using the clone stamp. It'll especially come down to that if you have a lot of large-leaved plants, or large-crowned plants that cannot be easily made into a brush pre-set that works. However, this is the easiest method for a beginner, or someone without a pallet, or someone who just flat-out doesn't like drawing. Even if it doesn't come out perfect, follow these steps and you should get some help in envisioning your final lay out.

Note: This method of mine takes time and effort. Even with these short cuts, it took me 3 hours to finish, and some of my purely handrawn ones took 10+ hours to finish. You just got to sit down in front of that computer screen, and be patient with it . . . :D

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
SC nice info...I will give it a try for my new setup coming :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the info... now I know what I'll be doing at work!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Photoshop is a great program for designing and imaging. It takes a lot of patience to get what you want. I've been using the program for over 3 years and i've still yet have a lot to learn. Great idea on the Aquasketch Steven, i'll be drawing a couple myself when ever I get to it.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Really nice!
But in order to get mine realistic looking, where's the algae tool?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Awesome! I'll try that when I get a chance.

It will be a good idea to start collecting images for the clone stamp tool.

Good job!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are welcome. :D

Photoshop is a great program for designing and imaging. It takes a lot of patience to get what you want. I've been using the program for over 3 years and i've still yet have a lot to learn. Great idea on the Aquasketch Steven, i'll be drawing a couple myself when ever I get to it.
I know what you mean. Even today when I use photoshop I feel like I'm using a "new tool," even though when I think about it, I started using it in my sophomore year of high school so it's been 4 years for me too! The time sure goes by fast . . .:icon_lol:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Steven,

what graphic tablet do you use? I am very interested in getting further into photoshop but I have yet to invest in 'sketch to pixel' hardware. Do you have any recommendations?

cheers,

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the Wacom line is great. I use the Intuos 3, 8x6 but you don't need something that expensive to make good artwork.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did find that hilarious.

For staghorn you'll have to make your own pre-set, but I think if you made the grass pre-set small enough, you could pull off a pretty realistic looking BBA. :icon_lol:

Put on the air brush, decrease the flow, and you can make some green spot pretty easily too.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had some other requests for me to sell my brush pre-sets. Alright, this weekend I'll compile mine, and put it up on SnS and S/T at APC. Won't be expensive, maybe $2 paypal and I'll e-mail it to whoever wants one.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Swap & Shop

Hmm . . . I should eventually make my own website instead of just sitting on Deviantart . . . but deviantart is so easy . . . ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.