The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I love long scissors and long forceps but don't use any other tools a whole lot. I really couldn't work in the tank without some sort of forceps or tweezers to plant ground covers or stems and some stems/leaves are too tough to pinch off without making a big mess. They don't need to be aquarium specific, just look for stainless steel of reasonable quality in the size you think will be most useful in your tank.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ebay has a 5 piece set in a fake leather case tha twork quiet well. 30 bux shipped

i plant using the 10-11 inch long tweezers included in that set. i hold the bottom of stem or root and insert into substrate

regular scissors work fine
I love long scissors and long forceps but don't use any other tools a whole lot. I really couldn't work in the tank without some sort of forceps or tweezers to plant ground covers or stems and some stems/leaves are too tough to pinch off without making a big mess. They don't need to be aquarium specific, just look for stainless steel of reasonable quality in the size you think will be most useful in your tank.
I guess I am still confused on the value of the tools for planting compared to "fingers"

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
lol when u get to planting long roots or stems that don't have roots.. long tweezers make it MUCH easier.. for non rooted stems they come back out easily until they root.. tweezers have a smaller footprint and disturb the substrate less when pulling back out.

long roots its a lot easier to grab them and take them all the way to the bottom than with fingers

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
An easy way to notice the value difference is try planting a foreground plant with your fingers and then with a pair of pinsettes. Its a huge difference in terms of convenience and efficiency.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
+1 Heartnet! I tried planting a rooted Staurogyne a couple weeks ago and made a mess of it using my fingers. Got the forceps, grabbed the roots and scooped it right in just where I wanted it. Tried to stick a stem in with my fingers, broke the stem and up it came. Got the forceps and down it is staying.

Now I really want to try chopsticks but I don't have any in the house at the moment.

Sneak some eyebrow tweezers from the bathroom and see how much better it works then you will want to go buy your own larger pair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.