The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm approx 3 months into my 30 gallon tank. 2 months of actually having plants in it. I've spent the past couple of evenings searching for some answers, but I think its best to actually post up my questions.

Now that my plants are growing like crazy I've been wondering the best way to approach grooming the plants. I almost feel that I have way too many plants and that its crowding the fish. I want to add several more fish to complete the tank, but I think I need some changes.

Here is a pic of the plant taken tonight. Any suggestions are welcome.

FYI, I'm not sure of all the plant names, but I do know that I have 2 lily's in the far left rear corner, but I think the middle plants are choking it.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
It looks like all your plants are background plants and they are planted in the right area. However, the plants on the left side could be trimmed and replanted. Pull the old stems out, toss them away. On the right side, you could just trim the old leaves of the sword plants. Oh, you need to move the tall plant (right side, front - looks like a Vallisneria) to the background.

You need to buy some plants and driftwood for the mid-section. Your mid-ground plants could be - Cryptocoryne wendtii, Hottonia palustris, Ludwigia repens X arcuata, Ludwigia repens mini, Hygro Sunset, Hygro kompakt, Echinodorus quadricostatus. You could also tie needle leaf Java fern, Java windelove, Anubias nana petite and moss on the driftwood.

Then buy plants for the foreground - like Marsilea quadrifolia, microsword (Echinodorus brasiliensis), Hemianthus micranthemoides (baby's tears) and Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. All taken in. Its a lot, but should help me achieve what I'm going for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts