The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of a 10g planted shrimp tank build (see thread here). I have an order of plants arriving tomorrow, but today I saw some windelov java ferns at PetSmart and bought them. I have a fake log that I was planning to use in the tank and wanted something to attach to it. Java ferns weren't in stock when I ordered my plants, and so I thought the windelovs would be good for attaching to the log.

This afternoon I attached all the windelov pieces to the log with super glue and placed the log into the tank.

The plants that are coming tomorrow are:
- 1 anubias coffeefolia
- 2 anubias nana
- 2 bunches of java moss
- 1 water wisteria
- 2 moss balls
- duckweed

I was thinking of placing the wisteria behind the log to sort of cover the heater a bit. Then I was thinking of putting the coffeefolia in the open area on the left side, surrounded by large river stones. One of the nanas could go in the center foreground perhaps and maybe the other nana toward the front right corner. As for the moss balls, I guess they could go where some leftover gaps are. Not sure what to do with the moss. I was going to make a moss tree on the below ornament but I think it'd be too cramped with the log.

Any thoughts on my plans so far? Suggestions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe attach the moss to the log? Or you could put it on a few small rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was actually thinking of sort of weaving it through the ferns on the log. And I do have a bunch of river stones.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here it is. Not too impressed. The moss was messier to work with than I anticipated. I think the footprint of the tank was larger in my mind's eye.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
In a shrimp tank you likely will want to cull them to get better color.
So I'd think ease of removing things in your way of doing that to be the prime issue.
Fern on a log so you can just lift out those plants for example.
And BTW...Java Fern will rot if exposed to air for long. So if you take them out to
catch some shrimp be sure to submerge them entirely while you do that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In a shrimp tank you likely will want to cull them to get better color.
So I'd think ease of removing things in your way of doing that to be the prime issue.
Fern on a log so you can just lift out those plants for example.
And BTW...Java Fern will rot if exposed to air for long. So if you take them out to
catch some shrimp be sure to submerge them entirely while you do that.

Would using a turkey baster make it easier to catch them?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Never tried that. I'd be suspicious that the hole in it might be too small and therefore hurt them.

·
Banned
483 Posts
What were you aiming for with the design? I think there are some issues of scale that work against the 1/3 placement of the main piece.

Bump: The main rock creates a huge tension in the current position. I do visual design for a profession, not that I am an expert in this field - I have a failing tank thus far. You have a 50% of the total width rock, placed with 10% space on the right which makes it 10% the middle axis of the tank,. You can start to reduce this by getting a smaller rock, and shifting the entity to the right side of the tank. If you don't want a smaller rock, because plants are attached, move it to farthest right, and plant something very small on the very left as a counter point. Then take a photo and repost.

I thought the same thing. I could cut the tip so that the opening is a little wider.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What were you aiming for with the design? I think there are some issues of scale that work against the 1/3 placement of the main piece.

Bump: The main rock creates a huge tension in the current position. I do visual design for a profession, not that I am an expert in this field - I have a failing tank thus far. You have a 50% of the total width rock, placed with 10% space on the right which makes it 10% the middle axis of the tank,. You can start to reduce this by getting a smaller rock, and shifting the entity to the right side of the tank. If you don't want a smaller rock, because plants are attached, move it to farthest right, and plant something very small on the very left as a counter point. Then take a photo and repost.

Honestly, just something natural looking. A hollow log on a riverbed with some plants and stones strewn around it. There really isn't much I could do with the log (it's actually a log, not a stone haha) as far as moving it around or replacing with something smaller (java ferns are glued to it), but I did put one of the nanas as a counterpoint to the left. Not sure if it's a good counterpoint, though. Then I rearranged the stones so that it's as if they washed up against the log in a current. I got that suggestion on another forum. I appreciate your help. I hope it at least looks a little better now than it did before.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps. The focus is more on the shrimp. The RCS will pop against the black. While it's not an exact replica of a river bed or lake bottom or pond bottom at all, I just wanted it to look as natural-ish as possible. I appreciate the suggestion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.