The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i found these rocks and i was wondering if anyone have a clue what type of rocks these are?

they do look similar to some of the rocks from ADA/ADG. but it would be great if someone can help me with this.
Thanks

i did the acid test, and there was no fizz.
i will see what i can come up with for my shrimp tanks :D

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The white veins are probably a secondary sediment that would raise hardness in the aquarium. The black area should be safe.
Bottle #1 of API nitrate test kit has hydrochloric acid - drip that on the white veins and if they fizz they will definitely raise hardness, its your call if thats okay with you depending on what livestock you wanna keep.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good to hear, look forward to seeing these in a tank soon.
i should have rephrased that
i actually did the vinegar test last night and there was no fizz.

However, when i tried the nitrate test bottle #1 today, i saw some fizzing on the white part of the rocks.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
i should have rephrased that
i actually did the vinegar test last night and there was no fizz.

However, when i tried the nitrate test bottle #1 today, i saw some fizzing on the white part of the rocks.
If they didn't fizz with vinegar but did fizz with the nitrate kit, they will only slowly raise your hardness slightly.

Those are nice rocks. Hope they work for you.

Chlorophile-thanks for the nitrate test kit tip. that's a good one.
:D

Whether or not you decide to use the rocks depends on your stocking plans and your water parameters, and if you are going to be using co2 or aquasoil.
Acidic water via humic acid or carbonic acid (peat/aquasoil and co2, respectively) will make the rocks raise your hardness quicker.
But so does seiryu stone raise hardness, and people use it frequently.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i will have to see what i can come up with. i want to get a bigger ADA setup :D, but i already have 3 ada tanks in the house and 1 of them is just sitting around collecting dust.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Looks like basalt to me. It's an igneous rock common to the Columbia river area. The white veining might be gunge it picked up as it flowed out of the earth and cooled. This wouldn't persuade me to avoid it.

Also, muriatic acid in the paint section of HD, Lowes, or any hardware store is usually 20% hydrochloric acid. Best bang for the buck for fizz testing and cleaning salt/mineral crust off of aquarium parts (not while in the aquarium obviously (I hope)). Just be aware of the handling procedures when using potent acids (eye protection).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.