The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to make some changes to my tank, so I need to ask some advice. I'm dosing CO2 and using a Finnex FugeRay, so most of the plants are pretty healthy and thriving.

But mostly I'd like to know what possible plants I could replace the lilaeopsis mauritiana and staurogyne repens with. The staurogyne repens has gotten a little leggy to me, and I'm tired of trying to propogate it into more of a carpet. I don't mind moving it somewhere else in the tank, and either replacing it with another plant or just letting the monte carlo take over more, since it's been growing nicely. The lilaeopsis mauritiana I'd like to remove entirely; I've been trying to get my fert dosage right, but in the meantime the lilaeopsis mauritiana has become a magnet for staghorn algae. It's been a bit of a problem plant since I first started the tank.

I'm not sure how I feel about the cryptocoryne on the right side.

I like my 20 gallon long but I fefel like it's hard to fit plants in there, it's just so short.

I'm alright with adding a bit more color to the tank, though I don't want to overdo it. Maybe something red or orange like ludwigia sp. 'mini super red' or red cabomba (honestly I wouldn't mind something orange, I've never had one), though I'm not really good at Rule of Thirds and where to put a secondary color.

Any ideas?

Last month:

Today, before a water change and trim:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestion! I just have to figure out where a good place to have some secondary color is.

I also need to figure out where to move the staurogyne repens (that or just remove it). I was trying to keep it trimmed short as a foreground plant but it gets grows fast and leggy easily so I've not been having fun working with it. I don't mind moving it farther back so it doesn't block the way, but not sure where I could fit it inside the tank. I just don't like the look of it in the foreground, it's not as bushy as everything else is.

I also have to decide with what to replace the lilaeopsis mauritiana. Preferably something that doesn't grow tall or sparse, and won't grow like an absolute beast like some of the other plants.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion! I just have to figure out where a good place to have some secondary color is.

I also need to figure out where to move the staurogyne repens (that or just remove it). I was trying to keep it trimmed short as a foreground plant but it gets grows fast and leggy easily so I've not been having fun working with it. I don't mind moving it farther back so it doesn't block the way, but not sure where I could fit it inside the tank. I just don't like the look of it in the foreground, it's not as bushy as everything else is.

I also have to decide with what to replace the lilaeopsis mauritiana. Preferably something that doesn't grow tall or sparse, and won't grow like an absolute beast like some of the other plants.
I'm having the same thing happen with my s repens as well. It's also splitting way quicker than I thought it would. I was told it was relatively slow growing. Good luck!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm having the same thing happen with my s repens as well. It's also splitting way quicker than I thought it would. I was told it was relatively slow growing. Good luck!!
I think I've misidentified my staurogyne repens (planted between the lilaeopsis mauritiana and monte carlo); I think it's really bacopa monnieri, which explains why it did not act like staurogyne repens at all. Do you recommend staurogyne repens? I only have a small space in the front.

In the meantime I might try and group up the bacopa monnieri I have and place it somewhere in the tank, and try and fake a bunched bush look with it. Having it single file in the foreground looks awful. Actually, I don't think I have the space for a midground bush of bacopa monnieri, so I might just remove it.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I like s repens quite a bit. It's a moderate grower comparatively and I've noticed mine splitting instead of growing taller once it hits a couple inches
Plant Organism Grass Wood Aquatic plant

Bottom left is a good representation of this, the tall stalk was the one I planted there and it's filled in the rest by splitting into off shoots.

B monnieri is a lot more leggy and fast growing from my experience than s repens. Pardon the diatoms in the pic- tank is only 26 days old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.