The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello TPT...

Thought this tank might be placed under "Aquascaping" since the tank is planted, though not in the traditional way. Just finished emersing the rest of my Aglaonema Gemini plants. Tank is filtered only with the emersed root balls of the plant. Water chemistry is stable, no ammonia or nitrites and low nitrates. No water changes are needed. I only replace water that's lost to evaporation. I do trim the plants as needed. They grow quickly in the nutrient rich tank water.

Tank is a 38 G stocked with roughly 75 Fancy Guppies and some potted Anubias and Amazon swords.

Have posted pics of this tank before, but always ran HOBs in addition to the plants, but with so many plants in the tank, the mechanical filtration is no longer needed.

B

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wow! I'm trying to do something similar with easy, cheap plants like peace lillies. Makes for awesome breeding tanks. What guppies are you breeding?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! I'm trying to do something similar with easy, cheap plants like peace lillies. Makes for awesome breeding tanks. What guppies are you breeding?
Hello gaby...

The Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen) are very cheap. The plants in this tank came to about $40.00. That's less than mechanical filtration would cost. Not to mention the time and effort required to service that filtration and replace used media.

The tank has to be open, so the plant leaves can take in CO2 from the air, but they need no more than low room light. I have to replace a couple of gallons of water every week and trim the plants, but that's all the maintenance the tank needs, maybe 30 mins.

The Guppies are the standard Fancies and are generations from eight feeder females I started with several years ago when I got into the hobby.

I have other tanks, with emersed land plants in them, but this is the only one with no mechanical filtration.

B

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello gaby...

The Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen) are very cheap. The plants in this tank came to about $40.00. That's less than mechanical filtration would cost. Not to mention the time and effort required to service that filtration and replace used media.

The tank has to be open, so the plant leaves can take in CO2 from the air, but they need no more than low room light. I have to replace a couple of gallons of water every week and trim the plants, but that's all the maintenance the tank needs, maybe 30 mins.

The Guppies are the standard Fancies and are generations from eight feeder females I started with several years ago when I got into the hobby.

I have other tanks, with emersed land plants in them, but this is the only one with no mechanical filtration.

B
Wonderful! I might have to find some next time there's a sale at Lowes. The ambient lighting I have is very low, so thanks for the tips! Can't wait to try it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts