The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my 75 gallon planted tank. I'm looking for feedback on the layout, anything. All feedback is welcome. I'm happy with it but wonder if it could be a bit better.

Plants:
1. Foreground-Left-Bacopa caroliniana. I know this is technically more suited for a background plant, But I trim it back regularly and use as a foreground.
2. Foreground-Right-Dwarf Baby Tears - recently planted.
3. Mid-Ground-Left-Limnophila hippuridoides (AROMATICA) - Behind the Bacopa.
3. Mid-Ground-Right are various Anubis plants on driftwood.
4. Background-Left - Moneywart and Water Sprite.
5. Background-Right-Vals, still growing.
6. Background-Middle is a large Pink Sword

Video:

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Lose the bubblers if you are injecting CO2. Raise your spray bar or return so it makes the surface ripple instead, you are likely degassing most of your CO2 without any gain in O2.

I'd divide the tank into thirds instead of halves, more harmonious. I like the thick healthy plants but having the sword plant dead center isn't good design, move it to about 1/3 from either end of the tank. I'd use Anubias or more and larger rocks to separate the left foreground from midground for more contrast.

I wouldn't change anything yet except to remove those bubblers, it looks really nice. Make notes and draw sketches about things you like and don't like about your scape. You might subscribe to ScapeFu for terrific information about scaping. Look through the AGA contest scapes to see what you like and how plants like the ones you have are being used. Tropica has a lot of scapes to look through with some that are more traditional/dutch like yours rather than the currently popular landscape types.

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
I think you need to post a full tank shot to really get the full idea / aquascaping advice. 2 photos of the separate halves is weird - people need to see 'the whole thing' as one

I agree with the above poster that you need to ditch the bubbles and not have the large sword dead center in the tank. You should never have something dead center draw that much attention. Other than that it looks like a nice tank.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I wouldn't think that the poster is going to want to pull out the big sword plant at this point. Everything looks like it is doing so well, it would be a shame to uproot everything. What I would do, is increase the plant mass on the left hand side of the tank to have something go up to the surface on the very far left hand side. That would draw the attention away from the large sword. The big sword could also be pruned a bit to make it not so dominant. Instead of increasing the plant mass on the left side, maybe a twiggy sort of branch going up on an angle on the left to draw the eye away from the center of the tank.
It is a lovely tank, very healthy looking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies/opinions.
1. I will be removing the air stones. I didn't realize the negative effect on the CO2; I was focused too much on the oxygen. I'll re-arrange the FX6 output to ripple the water surface. I also have an overflow. So I was probably too worried about the oxygen level.
2. To answer klibs point about the pictures. The first picture was full view of the tank.
3. Nordic, I'll consider your request. But I wouldn't hold my breadth if I were you... :) LOL
4. Not certain I'm ready to uproot the sword. But I can definitely move some of the moneywart further to the left.

Thanks again for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll work on moving a few things around.

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
That's true lol pulling out big sword plants is most likely not a good idea! Your tank is beautiful as is - plants look great. Asking to improve beyond its current state is really just nit-picking finer details. While I still think moving the large sword from the dead center would make the tank look better it is certainly not worth the effort / inevitable stress it will put on that plant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the feedback. I have trimmed the large sword back; and it looks nice. No so dominant in the center. Plus the new red leafs show through nicely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a Pink Rose Sword plant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.