The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting up a 4gl. Finnex for my 'puter desk at home. Pretty sure I got the hardscape part were I want it.

I want one rear corner to be (appx.) 4" vs. the 2" every were else. I'll have a pc. of drift wood that help hold the slope. I'm planning on a gravel artound the edges/sides, dirt in the middle, sand cap.

So my question, is there any reason to NOT just slope the MTS too?

I mean vs. building that area up with gravel, MTS, sand cap? It's such a small spot in a small foot print tank.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So am I asking a hard question....Or so stupid, eveyone is kind and not flaming on me?

:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmm... Don't see why using the MTS to slope wouldn't work. I'm guessing it might compact/flatten more once it's wet though so you may want to make your slope a bit more higher than you actually want it to be.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alex - I was thinking about that after I posted. I think you have a point about my slope wanting to self level. I think I'll need to engineer a retaining wall or maybe just put in a "pocket" of MTS in the middle of the slope?

·
Registered
105 Posts
You could do that - or put in rocks, driftwood , or baggies filled with gravel/sand and put the MTS on top of that?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one's a Nano, bit of structural experiment before I set up the 40B.

Drift wood will be in the middle of the slope, hold back 1/3. Maybe I'll just Silicone two small pc. of arcylic to the bottom of the tank on either side of the wood, forming a triangle to hold the slope. Basically making a planter in one corner.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made a "hill" pea gravel. Them put the MTS right over it. I used the driftwood and the top rim from a broken clay pot to help hold the elevation..not so much a slope now. More like a high corner area with the rest of the substrate 1 1/2" lower.

So, time will tell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts