The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made some changes in my tank and while my Betta loves it, I am not completely happy with it. I was going for jungle style. What should I move around to make it look better? I got a bunch of different plants so I could have leaf shape variety. I have a lot of moss that I wanted to attach to the wood but didn't get around to doing, is there any place in the tank I could add it or are there too many plants already?

·
Planted Tanker
5,995 Posts
The wood on the right is too far to the right. It is the current focal point of the tank. Focal points should be positioned more according to the rule of thirds. (google golden ratio, or rule of thirds + aquascaping)

Plant arrangement looks fine, could do with a bit more perhaps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bit more plants? I have a bunch of moss that I wasn't sure I should add, would that work? Where should I place it? All in one spot or spread around the tank? I will try to move the wood more towards the left side, I may have to cut some of that long branch off in order to do so.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A bit more plants? I have a bunch of moss that I wasn't sure I should add, would that work? Where should I place it? All in one spot or spread around the tank? I will try to move the wood more towards the left side, I may have to cut some of that long branch off in order to do so.
Since you don't have anything going on the foreground, I'd make some dividers out of a 2 liter soda bottle or something, and create a foreground using your moss. It would fill the tank out a lot more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you don't have anything going on the foreground, I'd make some dividers out of a 2 liter soda bottle or something, and create a foreground using your moss. It would fill the tank out a lot more.
I'm sorry, I am so new at all this that, despite reading as much as possible, I still don't know enough. Could you be a bit more specific? How would I use the soda bottle? What kind of divider are we talking about?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
More plants yes, more variety of plants no. I find less species in a jungle scape is far more effective.

Also, you want to keep scale in mind, color, and texture. Think about trying to create depth by sloping the substrate low in front and higher in back.
Since the tank is small you want to use small plants to make it look larger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As I read a bit fewer species maybe would look better ( I personaly wouls choose ones with more narrow leaves so your tank will look bigger) abd as they said, wood a bit to the right. I like when I see roots of wood (or part with more branches to the front ...phorographicaly speaking focal point of tank are predetermined usualy. YOu can notice that in Amano's tanks since he was photographer.

Also I notices when you group same spieces of plants together in one area that usualy looks more pleasant to eyes. as far as I notices on my fishing trpis...I was same behaviour od plants in ature too. they tend to spread arround one area. Lemme quickly find that picture about setting up photo (or tank):

http://www.cashartblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/focal-point-1024x737.jpg

this is basic one .. If you extend that inner square ..you will get lines wich tent to be best for placing main focal point of your setup, same as in photography. Anyway.. as I see your tank looks ok..just needs a bit more work..but that is fun part right?

As for jungle style...some better experts might say more about it...

Hope you find your exact setup!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for all the advice. I am thinking of moving the wood in a different position so that more of the branches are visible and I was thinking of arranging all the plants around the wood.
Do I have too many species of plants right now? I know smaller plants would have made my tank look bigger but it's a Betta tank and I wanted to give him some plants I know Bettas like, such as Java Fern and Anubias.
What if I filled that space in the foreground with a lot of anubias nana petite? enough to make it seem like a carpet.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You may eventually want to add a little color also like ar mini or ludwegia red if you have enough light other wise looks nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts