The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 gallon tank, gravel substrate, anubias, java fern, crypts, tiger lotus. I fertilized only the substrate plants with root fertilizer tablets. I was doing water changes every couple of days as I had discus in there until today.

Filtration are 2 Aqua Clear 110's with sponges only inside, sponge prefilter (I do have a XP3 which has not been opened~take off the HOBs and use this instead?
Lighting are 2 power compacts, 65 watts each and 2 fluorescent bulbs, 40 watts each
Temp is 84
PH is 7.6
Alk is 70
Hardness is 80

Fish are 2 adult angels
8 rummynose tetras
6 albino cories
2 BN plecos
apple snails
trumpet snails
some uninvited snails (grrr....can't get rid of them!!)

I may add some sailfin mollies soon to see how they fare with the angels.

My gravel is only about an inch thick, should be thicker? And what is a good temperature for the plants I have?

I also have a whole bunch of new plants from others, some vals, corkscrew vals, java ferns. Here is a picture of the tank right now. The crypts on the right side are growing like crazy, they like the corner obviously.

I was thinking high plants on the right graduating downwards in height to the left? May leave the middle open?

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
I have a 90 gallon tank, gravel substrate, anubias, java fern, crypts, tiger lotus. I fertilized only the substrate plants with root fertilizer tablets. I was doing water changes every couple of days as I had discus in there until today.

What happened to the discus? What are your plans for this tank?

Filtration are 2 Aqua Clear 110's with sponges only inside, sponge prefilter (I do have a XP3 which has not been opened~take off the HOBs and use this instead?

Will you inject CO2? Until then, the HOBs will work just as good. They are easier to clean IMO.

My gravel is only about an inch thick, should be thicker? And what is a good temperature for the plants I have?

For Crypts and Lotus, 1 inch is a bit thin. They develop lots of roots. Good temps are between 74 and 78 for most plants. Some like it cooler, some can tolerate warmer.

I also have a whole bunch of new plants from others, some vals, corkscrew vals, java ferns. Here is a picture of the tank right now. The crypts on the right side are growing like crazy, they like the corner obviously.

I was thinking high plants on the right graduating downwards in height to the left? May leave the middle open?

Crypts are looking great. Middle open sounds good too.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The AC's will be fine if you are not injecting CO2. I just find canisters to be quieter, between the splashing and the mechanical noises that HOB's make.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.