The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I just moved all my stuff into my Eheim tank.
I am not very good at scaping, so any advice would be greatly appreciated in scaping my tank out so that it looks pleasing to the eye.

I know the rocks are an eyesore, i will remove them but please help me rescape this tank.

Plants included:
back left: baby tears
back centre: Ambulia

centre: Lilaeopsis
front : HC
front left: Glosso
middle right: Anubias / Java fern
middle: Tiger Lily

Christmas moss / Riccia / Java fern - on driftwood

and a closeup

Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks

Daniel

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well you've got a nice selection of plants. I think what is not a good as it could be is that the tank looks kind of sparse and spread too thin. There isn't really a focal point, so you eye doesn't have an anchor, so to speak. I personally don't think the rocks are an eyesore, but I think that if you keep them, you need to add a lot more of them for continuity. Darker colored rocks would probably look nice. You could split the tall stems in back into two clumps, and put them nearer the corners, maybe following the golden rectangle for spacing, and have a valley/canyon in between so you can see to the back of the tank and create a lot of depth. I would also go for a larger, branchier piece of wood to fill up more of the water column, or maybe some large rocks to do the same. Essentially anything that could create some vertical space usage. I might try to do a little photoshop work on your photos to show what I mean with placement and such...

What may help you is to look up other aquascapes and see which one really catches your breath, then try to recreate it to the best of your ability, in your own way. You could post again on here with that in mind and have people help you achieve that goal.

Here is a great video of a bunch of ridiculous aquascapes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsa8VhLGh2s&feature=fvwrel

Hopefully my response hasn't been too long and has helped you out. Good luck and be sure to post back with your progress!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JDM for your advice!
Found it very useful. I will separate the green stems into 2 bunches and put them on either side of the tank?
The driftwood to the left - should i do anything with that?
Ive got some more rocks but I didnt know where to put them as they take up a lot of space.

A photoshopped picture would be a great guide! Many thanks

Daniel

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a rescape done thanks to your advice. I am still working on finding some more rocks as well as driftwood. Ill move the stems closer to the corners if you think they will look better there. I just cannot do it at the moment as there are eggs laid in that region.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'll begin by saying that you have great flora growth- that driftwood looks great.

Some height is always good. Contrast between height and low-levels is better.

Rule of thumb - keep open same/low level plants for tanks that are longer than they are taller. Too much height and its not aesthetically pleasing. Conversely, tanks that are taller than longer need height to avoid the bare water column look.

You actually do have plenty of height with the ambulia and the nice piece of driftwood. Problem is that its not used as effectively as it could.

Your plant selection is promising but the way your original setup is not as pleasing to the eye..it goes from low to high to low again.

What I recommend is moving the ambulia to the left corner and planting it densely there - like an ambulia forest - plant it like a pie piece in the corner- it'll make a nice 3d affect giving your tank a deeper profile. Make sure it is behind the driftwood though. It looks like the driftwood its positioned so that its going into the left back corner and jutting out from there...basically looks like its positioned like this backslash - \ (birds eye view of your tank)- I would reposition that so its either facing like this / -forward slash- or simply horizontal.

I would then take a few of the tall deep red plants and plant that directly infront of the ambulia- following the outer pie configuration of the amublia, but also behind the driftwood. This will add color to that side of the tank since your driftwood is covered in rich green flora and the ambulia is also bright green. But because the ambulia is taller than the red plant, it'll look great.

I would then plant the baby tears on the substarte below the driftwood (if not an entire carpet of it). This will give a natural effect of the tears taking over the driftwood rather than being strategically placed by a human :p A carpet in front of the driftwood of baby tears would look awesome.

Keep the right side of the tank shorter (in terms of flora height). I would grow the grass out in the middle (keeping a nice column of open water). For the right side keep the anubias and tiger lilly there while maintaining the grass carpet on that side. This will end up with the anubias and tiger lilly popping out of the grass on the right side. This will keep a very nice open space for your fish to swim (which looks great).

I think this would make your tank look amazing!

I think that even though nature isn't exactly orderly, there is a flow to valleys and troughs and peaks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Astrosag for your post!
Ive read through everything very carefully and followed your instructions to the best of my ability. However I decided to switch my driftwood to the other side mainly because I wanted the Riccia to be the focal point. =)

After following your instructions I am amazed at how things have turned out!
Ive given you credit in my blog too =)

I cannot now throw the other driftwood piece in the left corner away as it has Java Fern attached to it =( Also I do not know what to do with the anubias in the left corner or the rocks. I cannot throw out the smooth stone as my Hillside Loaches love it
I also have some spare HM (as seen on the left side of the driftwood). I do not know where to put that.
Should I move the anubias to the right corner adjacent to the driftwood? What would I do will that ugly smaller piece of driftwood to the left?

Much thanks to you again Astrosag! What awesome advice!!!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Stick the banana plants at the right third of the tank for a contrast with all that nice fluffy Ambulia and red Myrio and the leaf shapes would reflect the red lilies planted on the left.

Plant the Bacopa [round green leaved stems] in a grouping. They don't look like much spread out and look amazing as a bush.

Really like the new arrangement!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Oh yea...now that's a great looking tank!

I think you've got a fanstastic looking tank now. Add some riccia/baby tear carpet (or equivalent) right in front of that driftwood and grass elsewhere...perfecto!

This tank config now looks very pleasing to the eye while highlighting the plants/feel you like - that driftwood on the right looks awesome and now, the left looks amazing too.

Can't wait to see it all fill in (the carpet really). Add some docile fish and some shrimp and you're going to get oooohs and ahhhs all over the place :p

You've mastered the natural, but flowing aquascape. Whereas the original config yelled "planted by a human", this one has a very natural feel whilst maintaining a eye-pleasing flow to it. Also, imo, I love to see a scape that critters/fish utilize to its fullest extent. With two little niches on the left and the right and a lush carpet in the middle, you've created two little bio-zones for critters and also a nice open space for fish (especially schooling)...this will highlight your fish and inverts with a gorgeous back drop.

Good work and good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for your help! Especially Astrosag~ awesome awesome advice.

I was wondering Kathy what the Bacopa was. Are you talking about the baby tears or the HM?

Are the banana lillies best placed behind the driftwood 1/3 in? Remember they are huge leaves and look a little like the Tiger lilly. They grow deep roots as well so I have be sure.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
The stem plant that is reflecting light so it looks white in the last photo looks like a Bacopa to me and looks great as a bush but is very lanky by itself as do most stem plants. Is that baby tears? I think HC should be called baby tears because it is so similar to the terrestrial plant with the same common name, Soleirolia soleirolii. Micranthemum umbrosum is also called baby's tears.

If you think the banana plant would be better behind the wood then that is fine. The leaves are a similar shape to the lily's leaves and it might look nice to have the same shape and texture on that side of the tank as well. Since you have it, find a place for it!

Once all those lily plants get going the tank is going to look completely different. Right now it is all fluffy fine textured stuff and very bright, when the lilies are going strong there will be great color contrasts and bold texture backed by the fluffy stuff. Going to look nice that way, looks nice now.

I like that wood on the left! The java fern will grow into a nice bush and arch over to the right some I bet. If you don't like it it is perfectly easy to pull the fern off and plant it on something else! The large Anubias looks nice above the gray rock. The HM might be a nice bush between the round stone and the gray stone. It can be pruned to any size or shape and grows very dense. My corys like to pretend they are stuck in it then get all indignant when I push it down so they can swim away. Or they did, am down to a scrawny couple of short stems of it at the moment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Much improved! In my opinion, I think you have too big a gap between the two sides and thus it tends to draw the viewers attention. A piece of driftwood that branches out or interrupts this open space or even just closes it up a bit will improve the looks. It just feels to empty currently. Not only that but the plants and current layout narrows towards the back and again, draws the eyes attention only to reveal nothing currently.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Here is a rescape done thanks to your advice. I am still working on finding some more rocks as well as driftwood. Ill move the stems closer to the corners if you think they will look better there. I just cannot do it at the moment as there are eggs laid in that region.

I like this rescape better than the most recent one.

The only thing I would change would be to lift the left side of the BIG dirftwood so that it is tilted and has more height.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i'll begin by saying that you have great flora growth- that driftwood looks great.

Some height is always good. Contrast between height and low-levels is better.

Rule of thumb - keep open same/low level plants for tanks that are longer than they are taller. Too much height and its not aesthetically pleasing. Conversely, tanks that are taller than longer need height to avoid the bare water column look.

You actually do have plenty of height with the ambulia and the nice piece of driftwood. Problem is that its not used as effectively as it could.

Your plant selection is promising but the way your original setup is not as pleasing to the eye..it goes from low to high to low again.

What i recommend is moving the ambulia to the left corner and planting it densely there - like an ambulia forest - plant it like a pie piece in the corner- it'll make a nice 3d affect giving your tank a deeper profile. Make sure it is behind the driftwood though. It looks like the driftwood its positioned so that its going into the left back corner and jutting out from there...basically looks like its positioned like this backslash - \ (birds eye view of your tank)- i would reposition that so its either facing like this / -forward slash- or simply horizontal.

I would then take a few of the tall deep red plants and plant that directly infront of the ambulia- following the outer pie configuration of the amublia, but also behind the driftwood. This will add color to that side of the tank since your driftwood is covered in rich green flora and the ambulia is also bright green. But because the ambulia is taller than the red plant, it'll look great.

I would then plant the baby tears on the substarte below the driftwood (if not an entire carpet of it). This will give a natural effect of the tears taking over the driftwood rather than being strategically placed by a human :p a carpet in front of the driftwood of baby tears would look awesome.

Keep the right side of the tank shorter (in terms of flora height). I would grow the grass out in the middle (keeping a nice column of open water). For the right side keep the anubias and tiger lilly there while maintaining the grass carpet on that side. This will end up with the anubias and tiger lilly popping out of the grass on the right side. This will keep a very nice open space for your fish to swim (which looks great).

I think this would make your tank look amazing!

I think that even though nature isn't exactly orderly, there is a flow to valleys and troughs and peaks.
dam very nice recommendation
you're hired to do mine

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A piece of driftwood that branches out or interrupts this open space or even just closes it up a bit will improve the looks. It just feels to empty currently. .
Hi guys

I havent forgotten your advice.
I spent the past couple of days looking for driftwood and have purchased it and rescaped accordingly.

Please let me know how i can further improve the looks of my scape

Cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
More interesting visually but I think you can go bigger. You are making great improvements. You can buy several branch wood like your recent additions and tie them together to make it appear bigger or simply add a bigger piece. You can leave the small piece in there too but as an accent piece. I used several long pieces of fishing line to tie mine together as suggested by others. Just use enough to securely hold the pieces together if you go that route.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.