The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and am setting up my first high tech tank. The tank is a 40 gallon long at 48"Lx17"Hx12"D. As I would like the tank to be deeper, I'm limited by my budget since I'm using a stand from another old tank. The filter I'll be using is a Fluval 305, the lights will be 2x 54W T5HO bulbs, compressed CO2 which I'm not sure what to run at yet, and I will fertilize using the EI method.

I'm trying to get a beautiful piece of driftwood which is large and will probably be the only wood in there, and I might put in some rocks from the ADA shop. I want to have a wide variety of leaf shapes but still want a bushy look with smaller leaved plants (maybe a few large leaved ones).

My question is what plants do you think will look good with a tank like that and what layout do you think would look good (include rocks and driftwood)?

I have attached a template of the size of the driftwood and how it will look in my tank.

I'll try to photograph my progress in setting up the tank and will keep you updated :p

Thanks for the help,
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is my first thought for a shape:
The driftwood has an arm that sweeps over the middle-lower section of the aquarium. I thought this looked like the driftwood was "protecting" that area of the tank from things around it.

Light Red: Midground plants transition to background

Dark Red: Taller background plants "lean" on the driftwood

Light Brown: Midground plants in background slope down from corner

Green: Open area with groundcover

Yellow Options: Either more open space with groundcover/rocks for sloping shape or densly planted area to make a valley shape

Light Blue: Various driftwood plants like anubias, moss, ferns, etc.

Tell me what you think :)

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Refer to online galleries for nature scenes and pick something you like that has wood similar to yours. Once you find something study the plantation around it and choose your plants. This is just 1 way to do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.