The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aquariums are like Boats.....you seem to always looking at a bigger one.
I started with a 29 gallon then moved to a 50 gallon, now I have a 65 gallon, but you know what it is just to narrow maybee a 75 gallon would be better.
Where does this stop!

·
Registered
562 Posts
It stops when you either
A) set up a fish room in your basement and start breeding fish/plants to try to earn back some of the cash you have spent on your hobby or
B) start a business taking care of high-class huge aquariums for really wealthy people and businesses like some of the people here. or
C) When you finally break down and dig out a huge hole in your yard and build a tank similar to a pond with a greenhouse over it and charge five bucks for admission from the neighbors.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Aquariums ARE like boats.

A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood, metal or fiberglass into which one shovels money.

An aquarium is a glass or acrylic box full of water into which one shovels money.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
If your boat has fish , and plants in it, you've got problems. :icon_redf

then again if your aquarium has people drinking beer, holding fishing poles, that's a big rocking aquarium. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't know if it ever stops... it just pauses while you make more flat surfaces in your house for 'Just one more.'

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not even close, I filled the boat up with gas yesterday, $623. We will run about 3/4 of that out of the tanks tomorrow. 2990 Hydrasports Vector Twin Yamaha 250's. $140k of boat, $20k of electronics, $15k of rods and reels and the list goes on and on......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... You bring a big shovel to use to fill the boat with money.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sfcallen: so you bring a smaller shovel for your tank, but do you find your self looking at a bigger boat? Well maybe not with a $623 gas bill for the weekend I'd think about that one.

Mangala: I think that I like choice "C" I could incorporate my Bonsai trees and fish in the same decor. ( i've already done the fish room thing 9 tanks at one time)

·
Registered
307 Posts
i was always told that the best time you have with your boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it. don't think i'd ever be able to sell my tanks unless of course im buying a larger one =]

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think I would like a smaller boat, something trailerable with twin diesels. Like a Carolina Classic or something like one of the smaller Buddy Davis customs. Maybe a bigger single diesel. Something that would get over 2.5 NMPG but, still cruise about 30kts and get above 40+ knots when pushed.

·
Registered
558 Posts

A 65 foot Sculley custom Sportfisherman would be nice.:)

Sculley 64 SF
Specifications
Length: 64 feet
Beam: 18 feet 9 inches
Draft: 5 feet 6 inches
Hull: Cold Molded
Displacement: 72,000 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 2000 gallons
Water Capacity: 250 gallons
Power: Twin CAT C-30
Base Horsepower: 1550 each
Max Speed: 40 knots
Cruise Speed: 34 knots
Headroom: 6 feet 10 inches

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't know if it ever stops... it just pauses while you make more flat surfaces in your house for 'Just one more.'
Oh how true!! I've moved my laptop to it's carrying case next to the couch in the living room and taken over my desk space with a few smaller bowls/tanks. The other day I brought home a 10g without making a spot for it. Ended up moving the microwave and coffeepot to make a spot on the counter for it.

As for the boat thing. It's true, but when you're into sailboats (like me), there comes a point where you don't want anything larger. It takes four of us (on a light air day) to sail our 9.1 meter racing boat. I'll never want anything over 36', until I get a crew (I knew there was a reason I should have kids someday).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sfcallen: now that's a boat, no that is a yacht. can you get a planted tank on that one. but I'm with cjyhc4 I do like the sail boats. About 6 years back I worked a 110' schonner on the great lakes, we would go on day sails with 20 people in tow. That was a great summer but the pay was terible.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I personally adore sailboats. ('course I also bike to work rather than drive or bus... maybe I'm just really really cheap when it comes to transportation?) If I could, though, i'd totally dig a pond. But I don't think the apartment manager would really like it if I started digging around in the garage or somthing. :icon_roll

it goes to the category of "one of these days..."

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
I recently got a 210g aquarium. I don't think it will ever end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts