The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting a cat in the next couple of months and was curious about what people do to protect both cat and aquarium/fish.

For context, I have a Fluval Spec V (5 gallon) which is rimless; I've been going lidless since I upgraded to the (16") Finnex FugeRay Planted+ (the light sits better imho, without it).

The tank sits on a cabinet with maybe a few inches on either side to spare.

My question is, to those who have cats, do I need to bother with a lid/canopy? I obviously don't know the temperament of my future cat yet haha, and I'm sure there are ways to train the cat to stay away from the aquarium.

Do you have a favorite lid (or diy) if you have a Spec V? I'm not a fan of the stock acrylic one, though I still have it. My biggest problem so far is finding one with the correct fit for my tank if it's super essential I cover up for a cat.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You're going to want to use the lid,particularly if you have fish in the tank.The cat WILL try to fish them out.Also,the cat will want to drink from the aquarium.I don't know why,but they do_One of my cats even likes to drink the water from the cups I have small bits of moss growing in.

The only option I'm aware of for a spec v is the stock acrylic one,though I think a person could cut a piece of glass to fit,and perhaps use the clips for an IM fusion lid,or something similar,or perhaps make a screen or mesh lid for it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Mine just drink from the tanks, I have 13 tanks, many open topped and on the floor.
Used to have a cat that would jump on any open tank she saw , to drink from the top....until she misjudged the edge and fell in.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Man, if only they drink the tank water, mine will always find the grossest water possible in the room and drink from it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Man, if only they drink the tank water, mine will always find the grossest water possible in the room and drink from it.
Mine too! There's a big monstera in my room. It has a jar with water for it's aerial roots. Never changing it, just adding more, it's really nasty and yet it's loved by all cats.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I use lids, but it isn't because of my cat. My fish are jumpers so they need to be kept covered.

My cat will watch my tanks from time to time, but he doesn't have access to them. Both are too high and since he isn't a climber, it is a non-issue. If he was I'd probably still use lids as while he's a indoor cat and cleans his feet, I wouldn't want stuff in my tanks from scented kitty, dust, and whatever else he may get into at any given time. Cats drinking tank water grosses me out, so he's not allowed to be in the room when I do water changes as he will drink from the bucket. Blech!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I find the fish I raise from birth in tanks, are not really prone to jumping, unless chased with a net to the surface.
The only fish I ever loose to jumping, are the rare times I buy in something that was probably farm raised in a concrete tank.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The cat will drink the water, and depending on the fish inside, the cat might paw at or try to chase the fish. I've had a few that have gone fishing, but only 1 that was successful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone :) Love the stories about everyones' cats too. My betta is definitely not a jumper and I like the look without the lid but I will try using the stock lid once I adopt a cat! The lid has a hole in the center though, so we'll see how well that works out.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Bettas being slow movers that like to hang out at the top, a lid would be a good move.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just use clear packing tape with the sticky side up. Place it on any surface you don't want your cat (like the "few inches on either side"). Cats hate sticky stuff on their feed, and once they touch it, they will get off. Since it's clear, they will always think it's there and eventually avoid the area.
My cats don't bother with my fish (and other pet tanks) at all. They've learned that it's nothing they can get to, and ignore them.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Look at that cat's face. It is trying to figure out if anyone would know it was him, if he chews through his owner's throat while she sleeps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have three cats and two of them like to drink out of the aquariums but don't pay any attention to the fish, including our betta who lives in a 20cm cube. The betta likes to come and check out what's going on when the cats have a drink, I'm surprised he hasn't bitten one of them on the tongue yet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hot sauce, put hot sauce on the items you want the cat to leave alone. Several times I got up in the morning to find my air pump and all of its tubing on the floor and chewed on. Hot sauce really works, just takes one lick and they are done with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our cat isn't allowed in some of the rooms (I'm slightly allergic so those are my "I can breath here" places). We keep our tank in one of those rooms. Haven't had any problems with that yet!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.