The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 5 gal pail of tier own brand substrate ad started to wash it. I cannot get the water to run clear after much washing. Has anyone else used this stuff? Am I washing away all the goodies?
Thanks Gene

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some say it's te same as Soil Master. It is black and a bit bigger than coarse sand. The water is really black when you first start to rinse it. I am going to call them tommorrow and see what they have to say. I will post their answer after I talk to them.
Gene

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Use the same method I use for Flourite. You can find it in the substrate section of my Guide. And if it's that dusty, and I have no doubt that it is, failure to wash it will almost always result in disaster.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to aquirumplants.com this AM and they say wash it thoroughly so that's what I am going to do. I have a 5gal pail so I am off to get a strainer from the paint store. Thanks Rex
Gene

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I have 66 pounds of it in my tank. It will never run clear no matter how much you wash it. just wash it under low pressure. High pressure seems to brake it apart. Then add water to tank on a plate nice and slow then after a couple of hours clear water.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Washed mine today using the paint strainer. Never did run clear though. Put it about 3" deep in my 30 gal 36" X 12" and only had a small amount left. I don't think a pail will do a 55 gal as advertised unless it is less than 3" deep. Looks like good stuff though.
Gene

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Filled the tank today. Added the water slowly in a dish and got a gray scum all over the surface. Got the XP2 running with the foam media that comes with it. Looks like it may clear up and I hope so cause I have a lot of plants comming Thur.
Gene

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plants went in yesterday and are looking good. Had to siphon gray scum from water surface. So far looks like no effect on Ph 7.1 or KH 8 and GH 11. Will post pictures in a couple of days. No CO2 yet but soon. Have a Regulator ordered from Rex Grigg.
Gene

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am knowlegeable about a lot of things but computers aint one. I can get to PT hosting browse and upload the JPG but what do I do next?
Thanks Gene

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think the tank looks amazing . . .

I just purchased some of the same substrate, so we're both going to be hoping for success, right?

It's got a pretty good reputation. BTW, did you use Peat or anything else with your substrate? Did you top the substrate off with a layer of gravel or just let it go as is? I read the thread, but couldn't really ascertain if you'd done anything else to it. Just curious.

I've never ventured to the wonders of Peat Moss use until recently, but I'm curious if there'd be any long-term benefit to adding it; although, I plan to put in some adult-size cory cats (much later in the game), so I'm not sure if that'd be "allowable," or beneficial, I should say.

Opinions appreciated.

Kev.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I added 20 oz of Laterite mixed in the bottom 1" and ended up with about 2 1/2" total. The Swords are 2 compactas and an ozelot in the middle. They went crazy as did the chain micro swords in the front. Started with 10 and mus have 50-75 in there now.I do have pressurized CO2 also.
Gene

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.