The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around over on aquariumplants.com and I noticed they sell a 5 gallon bucket full of their own kind of substrate and I was wondering if anyone has used this or not.

I am unsure as to what it is but from the small pictures they provide it looks like soilmaster select charcoal to me but I don't know for sure. Just thought I would ask if anyone as used it or not.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Compared to my SMS, it looks like the same thing to me, or it's turface. I'm positive it's just another fired clay with high CEC, Question is, do they add anything to it?

Does that stuff come wet?

Regarding the posts I see comparing it to all the other clay alternatives and questioning whether it's being relabeled, I wonder if it's just a situation where the source of many companies' products is one huge distributer linked directly to the mines where these clays come from. This happens in all sorts of markets, where you can buy two separate products that consist of materials from the same source.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Its water qualites are like SMS, not Turface, though they look alike according to the posts. As such, it is reported to soften the water column considerably. Most think it is infact repackaged SMS. Profile makes Turface. Another company makes SMS, which is distributed by Lesco.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.