The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a top for my aquarium. I bought some acrylic glass supports but I don't really like them cause they hang inside the tank. I was wanting more of a riser type support for the top.

I plan on adding more riparian planters as well. Any ideas for a top?

Would I be able to place the acrylic top on this?

i figure I could have the long part over the tank and the top will just sit on top of it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You can try but I know from experience that acrylic will bow and it does not take long to do so. Look into getting some thin glass cut to fit. 1/8 to 1/4 inch should work fine.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
411 Posts
also, I have that riser setup.
First, I wouldn't use them for this. the spacing of the bars if very close and resting a lid or top on it would be precarious.
Second, if you did use them you would have to attach them somehow, and again, not sure how well that would go. Yes the bar bits are metal but everything else is plastic. Just not something I would trust that much. The lights it's made for is different as this is designed to be inserted and it has a very good design there structurally. I don't know what your skills are but I wouldn't recommend a DIY with these.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to get a top for my aquarium. I bought some acrylic glass supports but I don't really like them cause they hang inside the tank. I was wanting more of a riser type support for the top.
View attachment 1032991

I plan on adding more riparian planters as well. Any ideas for a top?

Would I be able to place the acrylic top on this?
View attachment 1032992
i figure I could have the long part over the tank and the top will just sit on top of it.
Double strength glass might be a better option. Acrylic will bow over time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water Plant Aquatic plant Recipe Gas

I ended up getting a 90b UNS top for my 90 l and used some $5 stainless steel clips. There is still a lot of openings but I'm hoping the floaters to cover up some of those. hopefully this will help keep fish and shrimp from jumping out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts