The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm treating my betta with aquarium salt for what I think is fin rot (No discoloration, but plenty of otherwise unattributed/progressive fin loss), and I was wondering whether I should take the plants out of his tank, and what I should do with them. If there's a bacterial infection in the tank, will it spread with the plants to my other tank (zebra danios and otos)? I'm dosing 1tsp/gallon, as I've seen recommended on several betta sites, but the box says it might damage plants. My fish is honestly my first priority, but if I can preserve the plants and keep everything safe at the same time, I'd like to.

I'd like to stay away from the argument of whether fin rot should be treated with salt; I've heard both sides and have made my decision based on what resources I have available to me. I am primarily interested in hearing from you guys what I should do with the plants while I'm treating Pearlicus, since I don't have a separate quarantine tank I can put him in at the moment.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well most any issue with a Betta can be fixed with Salt, so i agree with you on that. I've fixed Fin rot with Salt before many times.

In my Experience the salt does cause a lot of melting on the plants, so if you can remove them i would. I don't think they could transmit any diseases over to your other tanks, or even in a bucket outside until the fin rot has healed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
If you do decide to move them to another tank, and are concerned about spreading pathogens, you could dip the plants in between.

I've never done it myself, and I've usually heard of it being done to try and kill algae or snails, but I've heard of people using both dilute bleach and dilute hydrogen peroxide solutions (I'm sure there are others)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'm treating my betta with aquarium salt for what I think is fin rot (No discoloration, but plenty of otherwise unattributed/progressive fin loss), and I was wondering whether I should take the plants out of his tank, and what I should do with them. If there's a bacterial infection in the tank, will it spread with the plants to my other tank (zebra danios and otos)? I'm dosing 1tsp/gallon, as I've seen recommended on several betta sites, but the box says it might damage plants. My fish is honestly my first priority, but if I can preserve the plants and keep everything safe at the same time, I'd like to.

I'd like to stay away from the argument of whether fin rot should be treated with salt; I've heard both sides and have made my decision based on what resources I have available to me. I am primarily interested in hearing from you guys what I should do with the plants while I'm treating Pearlicus, since I don't have a separate quarantine tank I can put him in at the moment.
Hello Sil...

If you keep the salt dose under a tablespoon for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water, then your plants should be fine. Actually, a teaspoon is enough to treat most of the pathogens that can affect the fishes' skin.

Since you're treating for a disease, it's good not to get the water temp too high in the tank either. You can treat a disease with lower temps, about 80 degrees. This way you treat the disease and your plants aren't damaged.

Just a thought.

B

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Sil...

If you keep the salt dose under a tablespoon for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water, then your plants should be fine. Actually, a teaspoon is enough to treat most of the pathogens that can affect the fishes' skin.

Since you're treating for a disease, it's good not to get the water temp too high in the tank either. You can treat a disease with lower temps, about 80 degrees. This way you treat the disease and your plants aren't damaged.

Just a thought.

B
Thanks for the temperature tip. I had actually heard about 76--not too low for the betta in the short term, but low enough to inhibit bacteria?

If you do decide to move them to another tank, and are concerned about spreading pathogens, you could dip the plants in between.

I've never done it myself, and I've usually heard of it being done to try and kill algae or snails, but I've heard of people using both dilute bleach and dilute hydrogen peroxide solutions (I'm sure there are others)
I threw them in a bucket with the old tank water for the time being, but I might see about dipping them in (diluted) hydrogen peroxide--I've heard of people using that to kill mould from DSM problems, I imagine it's a similar principle?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.