The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If you want to go cheap, you can construct a "stand" from eggcrate and 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipe, zip-tied together. I'm assuming the "heavy" part is a rock? If you place the PVC pipe correctly, it shouldn't be an issue unless you need a crane to hoist it into the tank.

Another option would be to buy a plastic shelf unit at HD and cut it to fit. That would leave you with the question of what to do with the other three shelves though.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want to go cheap, you can construct a "stand" from eggcrate and 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipe, zip-tied together. I'm assuming the "heavy" part is a rock? If you place the PVC pipe correctly, it shouldn't be an issue unless you need a crane to hoist it into the tank.

Another option would be to buy a plastic shelf unit at HD and cut it to fit. That would leave you with the question of what to do with the other three shelves though.
actually pvc and eggrate will probaby work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Your welcome.

Just take the extra step of drilling the PVC pipe and run a zip-tie through it, so it's tied to the eggcrate. Depending on how you're using it, it could topple over as your working with it if you just lay the eggcrate on top. HD sells short lengths of PVC so you don't have to buy a full 10' length.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
A hacksaw works well but if you will be frequently cutting PVC, there is a small ratcheting cutter that is wonderful to use and makes perfect cuts in under a minute.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I couldn't agree more on the ratcheting cutter for PVC pipe. Just an awesome tool even if you only occasionally cut PVC.

But it does have a limitation. I've never been able to cut anything bigger than 1" pipe with it and even that can be a little bit of a chore. So just give that some consideration.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I normally wouldn't care about cutting pvc, its just that I would need a level shelf, so I need the cuts to be almost exact. I might just use several smaller pieces of PVC, lol.

I am very limited on tools, basically just a hack saw for cutting PVC.

Thanks though, I'll keep everyone posted on my final idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts