The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading that krylon fusion is aquarium safe, i would like to use it on the styrofoam back ground i would like to make.

Is any of the krylon fusion spray paint ok, i really liked the look of the stone textured looking ones or the hammered metal looking ones.

I would let it dry for probably two weeks then soak and rinse for a while too.

Does any one has any input on whether these are ok to use?

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've used Rustoleum spray paint on PVC tubing that went into the tank and never had any problems; of course I did let it dry for a few days. Small pieces did flake off over time, but that never seemed to hurt any plants or critters.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright thanks!
Im going to get started in the morning, i got the brownish stone textured krylon fusion spray paint.

I plan on spraying the styrofaom until i like the shade of brown i have on the foam, then i have some small river rocks i got from petco for like 0.70 cents a 5 lb bag that i have plenty of that i am going to press into the foam and silicone them on to give it more of a natural look. I then will glue java or christmas moss to the background in various places to add more of a natural look as well.

I did something similar that didnt turn out as well when i first set up this tank with crafters canvas where i siliconed these same rocks on to it then glued the java moss on it. The only problem was that you could see the crafters canvas and light in between the rocks. Oh and that i didn't think of a way to attach the wall to the tank....lol. Well i will make sure i have it right this time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe Aquatic Ecosystems sells a marine safe epoxy type paint. They are at www.aquaticeco.com. Besides you can try Krylon. It is totally is aquarium safe. Plain old spray can Krylon but I have only used flat black to hide filter tubes against a black background. I have about 3 years of professional experience as an aquarist in private business and at SeaWorld so this is backed up with a lot of practice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.