The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello PTF!

I am wondering if anybody can tell me or give me tips on how to take good aquarium pictures! No matter how many times I try, I can never get any good pic's! All help is appreceated!

Thanks,
Jake

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
your equipments have a lot to do with a good picture.

What do you have? Are you willing to buy?

And also photography sense like good lighting and good focus are important. There are a few threads on this topic you can search for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The big problem is lighting. If you slow down your shutter speed, any fish movement gets blurred. If you open the aperature all the way, you lose your depth of focus. If you increase the ISO too much, the image quality suffers from something called "noise". One of the posts asked what equipment you had. Having a camera that stops all the way to f2.0 will help you (that's a really wide opening that lets in a maxumum amount of light). One thing I would do is borrow a light from another tank to double the amount of light. I have also heard of a professional photographer that puts a remote flash into a plastic pag and drops it right into the water. The next big problem is focusing. On my camera, the auto-focus seems to get confused by the glass, so I have to use manual focus. Finally, most fish are camera shy and will swim away from the camera. Despite those problems, I am amazed at how many great fish pictures get taken. Plants are easier - they don't move around too much!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That artical is great! Really learned alot. I have a Nikon Coolpix camera, but I am not wikking to get a better one. I would much rather get riparium stuff to make my tank worth a good picture!

Thanks again,
Jake

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I found that the best way to go from low quality pics to something slightly better with your point and shoot is to use a tripod. They're not too expensive or anything, and they reduce a lot of the blur that is associated with low quality pictures. Also, play with the settings. Different settings will yield different quality pics. Finally, get a good program like photoshop (GIMP is a free version). This will allow you to take that picture that is good quality, but too dark or shaded, or whatever, and morph it into a beautiful photograph (probably not DSLR quality, but close enough for us fools to not complain)

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
turn off the filter, and angle gamera at a slight downward angle. if you have an flash that you can take off the camera put it above the tank and pop the flash you will get enough light and a fast enough shutter speed that you dont get any blur..

F

1 - 17 of 17 Posts