The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Trying to get an opinion on this situation. Wife and I got a new 75g Marineland tank and their new style stand. I miss the old black majesty stands they used to have at Petsmart!

The first one we had, the tank had one corner that was really raised/not sitting flush, so I returned the stand and got a new one yesterday.

When we got it on, this one seems to have the same issue, but not nearly as bad. Our floor is unlevel, but the tank and stand both are level anywhere else in the house separately from each other. The other end sits completely flat.

I'm afraid to try and fill this 75 up in our living room, but is this much of a gap on the corner enough to worry about, or will it be fine? I'm not a good builder, and I can't find anywhere that has a stand or can even order one for us.

Likely gonna have to return the ensemble for the 2nd time, and figure something out. We've got all the equipment, just don't think this will be ok long term. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
In the second picture it makes it look like this tank is sitting on a pad of some kind? If that is the case definitely remove that pad right away. Rimmed tanks not only don't need pads but they can actually make the tank bust by putting pressure on points they're not made to have pressure on. As to the stand issue, yes it is definitely something to be concerned about. All four corners should absolutely be making contact with that stand. Your stand itself could be twisting based upon the floor. Are there adjustable feet on the stand? If not you are probably going to have to shim the stand so that the stand makes complete contact with the tank.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the second picture it makes it look like this tank is sitting on a pad of some kind? If that is the case definitely remove that pad right away. Rimmed tanks not only don't need pads but they can actually make the tank bust by putting pressure on points they're not made to have pressure on. As to the stand issue, yes it is definitely something to be concerned about. All four corners should absolutely be making contact with that stand. Your stand itself could be twisting based upon the floor. Are there adjustable feet on the stand? If not you are probably going to have to shim the stand so that the stand makes complete contact with the tank.
No, no pad on this one.

What doesn't make sense to me, is if the stand is level, but the floor isn't, shouldn't the tank be making contact since it's a flat top? Or am I wrong there?

At first I thought filling it some would even it out, but then I saw what can happen when a corner isn't making contact. So frustrating!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also no adjustable feet. I was gonna see if shimming it would help, but I thought it wouldn't since the top is flat.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
To be clear, what matters is not level but flat. Something could be level but not flat. Also what matters is measuring in all directions the surface of the stand to see if it is flat in all directions. Meaning parallel perpendicular and diagonally across the top. It's entirely possible for one corner to be slightly raised etc. These types of stands don't have much rigidity to themselves, so they tend to follow the shape of the floor. If your floor is a little bit wavy, the stand top will end up a little bit wavy as well unless there are adjustable feet. The other option is that the tank itself is not flat on the bottom. this is a much bigger issue and requires a return of the tank. in order to figure out if something is flat if you need a straight edge that is long enough to reach from one side to the other of the stand. So at least four feet long. What it is doesn't matter just so long as is absolutely dead flat. I actually use a level for this most of the time, but I also have some bits of aluminum sold as a straight edge for circular saws that I use sometimes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be clear, what matters is not level but flat. Something could be level but not flat. Also what matters is measuring in all directions the surface of the stand to see if it is flat in all directions. Meaning parallel perpendicular and diagonally across the top. It's entirely possible for one corner to be slightly raised etc. These types of stands don't have much rigidity to themselves, so they tend to follow the shape of the floor. If your floor is a little bit wavy, the stand top will end up a little bit wavy as well unless there are adjustable feet. The other option is that the tank itself is not flat on the bottom. this is a much bigger issue and requires a return of the tank. in order to figure out if something is flat if you need a straight edge that is long enough to reach from one side to the other of the stand. So at least four feet long. What it is doesn't matter just so long as is absolutely dead flat. I actually use a level for this most of the time, but I also have some bits of aluminum sold as a straight edge for circular saws that I use sometimes.
Makes sense. We sat it on a flat table and floor and the tank was completely flat. The floor is definitely not level (older house), so I'm gonna get some shims today and see if that helps anything. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I had a similar issue and to solve it I got a sheet of 3/4 inch OSB and cut a piece just a tad bigger than the bottom of the stand . Put the stand on it and it has been fine for years and the tank sits flat on the stand with contact all the way around . Worth a shot .

Reactions: Aparker2005
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.