The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a new stand & coming to the end now, how important is it to have an aquarium mat? I’ve never had one below this tank before.

It’s 3 feet in length & braced across the top.

If recommended what can you use for it, preferably something I can go pick up from any old shop, bare in mind most shops are closed due to Covid except for DIY Superstores & the odd supermarkets etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
What kind of tank is it? Rimless tank, rimmed tank (top and bottom), rimmed on bottom only? A foam or rubber type mat is recommended below rimless tanks (no plastic on tank only glass). When you say 36" tank how large otherwise? I have a 36" UNS 90B but it is only 12 gallons. There are 36" 65 gallon tanks as well.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
If its a rimless tank as said you need a mat. A yoga mat (preferably cheap one because you are going to cut it to fit) will work fine for this. If it has a rim on the bottom you do not want a mat at all as the mat can put pressure on the bottom glass which is not designed to take pressure from below.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If its a rimless tank as said you need a mat. A yoga mat (preferably cheap one because you are going to cut it to fit) will work fine for this. If it has a rim on the bottom you do not want a mat at all as the mat can put pressure on the bottom glass which is not designed to take pressure from below.
Appreciate the idea for a yoga mat, managed to get one very cheap which is 4mm thick, works perfectly, tank hasn’t got a rim at the bottom but is braced across the top, tank has taken shape & will be painting tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.