The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start this thread by saying that this is my first post on the Planted Tank. If there are any formalities that I am violating, please feel free to advise me. Having that said, here is my question; I have searched online for an aquarium management program for a while now and my efforts have been futile. Do any of you know of a good program that could possibly help me keep track of livestock, plants, the amount of time that I have owned them, the food/fertilizer I feed, the water parameters, Expenses etc. I realize that I could do most of this with a pad of paper and a pencil but, quite frankly, I don't want to. Thanks ahead of time! -Steve

P.s. Free software is what I'm leaning toward.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My wife and I tried keeping track with a Google Docs spreadsheet for a while, but we'd totally be interested in someone like this as well. Good question!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I am also interested in something like this as well. I have multiple tanks and could use a program to help me keep track of things.

There are some depending on your OS. They're not free. A few dollars.
Sounds like you know of a program or two Mistergreen, I have both MAC and Windows PC and laptops, any suggestions?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I am also interested in something like this as well. I have multiple tanks and could use a program to help me keep track of things.

Sounds like you know of a program or two Mistergreen, I have both MAC and Windows PC and laptops, any suggestions?
Maquarium for OSX. You can get it through the app store.
I never got into it but it looks pretty extensive.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Also consider that you can use a general purpose spread sheet to keep all you information. You can use something like Microsoft Excel, if you already have it, or you can download and use for free such products as Libreoffice, and use the spread sheet function from that.

One advantage of a general purpose product is that you can set it up anyway you like rather than having to conform to what someone else thinks is good for you.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The cloud based google docs was a good suggestion. I will use it at work for things sometimes because I don't have to lug around a laptop to use it. Once you set up the fields you need, entries are quick and easy from you tablet or mobile device. And the best thing...it's always backed up and available from anywhere. The sharing features may appeal to some folks also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I will look into Maquarium, (maybe I can run it through a virtual machine), until then I guess I'll have to be creative with my own spreadsheet. One more thing that I forgot to mention was that it would be great to find a program that will not only keep track of what I input, but will remind me to do water changes, what to feed and when to feed, refill Co2 bottle, etc. You get my drift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts