The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever had an incident during a water change where you were like Oh C#\&! or had any fail moment in the aquarium hobby?

my fail was when ijust got my canister filter. iwas previously using a HOB filter and unaware of how to clean a canister filter.

so what idid was took off the hoses from canister filter and instead of moving the whole unit to the bath tub to open it, ijust opened it from my stand and water leaked all over!!! iwas quick close it back up but what fail lol

·
Registered
304 Posts
When I installed my first canister filter I forgot to put the return into the tank. 15 gallons all over My bedroom carpet. I replaced the entire rooms carpet :(

Sent from my Nexus 5

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I installed my first canister filter I forgot to put the return into the tank. 15 gallons all over My bedroom carpet. I replaced the entire rooms carpet :(

Sent from my Nexus 5
oh man thats crazy. ilive in an apartment so ihave to be real careful. if not, our deposit + more has to replace our carpet lol

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I did the whole open the canister under the stand before. I didn't know at the time but I bought what I thought was a new canister with a broken impeller shaft. Just wanted to peak inside, didn't know how that worked, 5 gallons or so on the floor.

I also used to use a fountain pump with water changes. I hated running back and forth for 1 gallon pitchers or try to dump 5 gallons in at once so I would put one in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Had a little clamp, would fail about 1/10th of the time, a gallon here and there on the floor.

Tried some DIY fine media in a HOB (paper towel), clogged and filter media rose to the top, allowing water to splash. Lost 4-5 gallons.

Placing rocks in a tank is easy. Sometimes in frustration, tearing a tank down, you forget to pull them out of the top before moving forward, cracked the front pain of a rimless tank, luckily empty.

Luckily, my first major spill, I actually put a thick coat of floor wax, followed by car wax on the floor around my tank at that time. One of my MDF stands got messed up over time but the floor stayed intact. Now that I have carpet, I am very careful and have luckily made enough mistakes to not make them again, at least until the next haha.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was picking out red algae by hand, and using my other hand as a "container." I had gotten a pretty fair amount out by the time I realized that it was dripping red all over my tan carpet. Still has the little red/brown spots.

Never really got the hang of getting NO water spillage while changing the old canister. I ended up putting it in an aluminum pan under the stand, so at least it was contained.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah my mother gets mad if iget just one drop on the carpet lol good thing she wasnt there when ihad my incident

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok. Well if it is confession time. I did a 50 percent water change with a python water changer into a sink with a closed drain. Son that was over 30
Gallons that poured out of
The sink onto the floor down the inside walls and into my basement.

One time also I took my canister filter apart and put it together backwards. Then I turned it on and the water somehow backed up and the whole thing turned into a fountain shooting water all over the living room.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think are more horrifying stories like heater exploded because you forgot to unplugged. Or after a big water change, your entire school of fish died. I am sure there are stories relating to CO2 maintenance and how someone gassed their fish at night.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tried to fix a leak with ungodly amounts of silicone without draining the tank. Caulking on the exterior. 10 gallons on the floor, massive amounts of wasted silicone, silicone still all over the back right side of my tank.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Never really got the hang of getting NO water spillage while changing the old canister. I ended up putting it in an aluminum pan under the stand, so at least it was contained.
You need to get quick disconnect valves. I couldn't imagine having a canister filter without them. Very worse case scenario you get about 2 ounces of water dribbling out when they get disconnected, but I unclip them with a towel wrapped around them so there is no spilling anywhere.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Sitting on the couch last weekend talking,smoking, with my brother while the aquarium was filling from python hooked to sink, to the tank.
Just did catch the water, before it overflowed onto floor/carpet.
Once before,,and I was no so lucky, and ran maybe 30 gal on to the floor.
Not bad for a few year's in the hobby.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
1) left my 7 year old gold fish at school freshman year. He had a small 1g hex tank. It was sitting by the window. Came back after winter break. I had dried gold fish. Someone came in and put him on the heater to close the blinds.

2) cracked a lily pipe return and the hose fell to the ground. 2g of water.

3) xp2 filter ended up leaking. Came home to 10g of water in my small apt living room. After cleaning it all up. Had a knock from the downstairs neighbor. His light fixture was filled with water and ceiling was bubbling. I paid out of pocket.

New canister filters. But I keep them in a 3 gallon tub now w a flood alarm. Atleast it buys me time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I made a DIY vinyl hose which runs from our upstairs kitchen sink to the basement for filling the tanks up. To get the length I needed I attached two shorter hoses together with a fitting. Second time using it the fitting blew out and water started shooting all over the basement. By the time I got upstairs to stop the flow about 3 gallons had soaked the carpet.... needless to say my wife wasn't impressed and i have since wrapped the fitting with electric tape. Lol live and learn.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My german shepherd wanted to play with my python hose as it was filling the tank. He pulled the hose out of the tank, shaking the hose as water went everywhere. The worst just happened. Water change and all the fish died right away. Turns out that the town had started to add even more chlorine to the water supply and so my dose of Prime was not enough to deal with the extra chlorine. The chlorine was increased from 1- 2 parts per whatever to 3.5.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My german shepherd wanted to play with my python hose as it was filling the tank. He pulled the hose out of the tank, shaking the hose as water went everywhere. The worst just happened. Water change and all the fish died right away. Turns out that the town had started to add even more chlorine to the water supply and so my dose of Prime was not enough to deal with the extra chlorine. The chlorine was increased from 1- 2 parts per whatever to 3.5.
oh man ican just imagine your dog running around the house and water pourin all over the place lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
The worst that's happened so far to me was I set up a new fluval 306. I put the seal on the wrong part of the top. When the pump built pressure it started flowing out the sides. Not usually a bad issue but I have a power supply that was sitting in water. I was so worried about the carpet that it didn't cross my mind the electricity until my girlfriend was like your going to electrocute your self.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Long ago, was testing a tank for leaks and left it full of water in the basement. My younger brother, about 5 at the time, decided to see if one of the new puppies from the litter we'd just had could swim. It was my mother who noticed his absence and the ensuing quiet, quickly questioning where he was and what was he up to. The puppy was saved after my older sister gave it mouth to mouth resuscitation and pumped its little legs back and forth. That puppy ended up the best one of the litter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Biggest Derp moment only became apparent yesterday when for the first time cleaning my canister.... All the filter media was still in the plastic bags. In some plug and play belief i just rinsed through the filter and then plugged it to the tank, completely oblivious to the fact that all the media was still dry within their bags.

No harm done tho, i think :>

1 - 20 of 36 Posts