The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon aqueon that I set up nearly a week ago. I just noticed some white stress marks on the edges of the glass that look pretty gnarly. I was wondering if that was normal or if I should worry about my tank exploding. None of my other tanks seem to have it but this aquarium has a larger substrate load...any input would help

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are they actual cracks of just discoloring of the silicone holding everything together. If they are cracks, take the tank back to the store where you bought it. Cracks should not happen. Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hmm kind of hard to tell (especially on my phone) but it looks like the silicone has bubbles in it and the glass is discolored. You should probably drain it immediately and examine the area. If you bought it brand new, return it for another. That doesn't look normal and honestly 29G of water on your floor won't be fun at all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welp, I drained it and the marks slowly started to fade. Maybe too much substrate, rocks and water causing a lot of pressure on the silicone? I JUST finished setting this up too! another busy weekend for me

·
Registered
196 Posts
Could try resealing it. How much substrate did you have in there? I couldn't imagine that it would have much more to do with pressure on the sides than the actual pressure of the water.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's the silicone in the joint failing and you were really close to 29 gallons of water on your floor. You really need to disassemble the tank down to individual panes and reseal it. Just running a bead inside the tank won't help at that point. If it's new take it back. As cheap as those tanks are it's almost worth just replacing it all together and tossing this one. The reason it is disappearing after you drained it is there is no longer outward pressure pulling apart the glass panes. As it goes back together water is pulled in by capillary action and it makes it "look" as though it disappears. If you stick your hand in and push apart at that joint you will see it again.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I take it that is a side view of the front glass...
Yes, as said above the joint is failing.

You could repair and brace it like this, without draining the tank provided you have some clean plastic clamps...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If he pushes on that seam while full he will have 29g of water on the floor is what he will have.
Don't push on it. As others have stated return it If possible.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I read the title of this thread and thought geesh someone had figured out a way to smoke an aquarium.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.