The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a rimless aquarium that's 90 gal (dimensions are 36x24x24). The cabinet it sits on is made of plywood and is also 24 inches tall from floor to where aquarium sits. I have a step ladder, but in wanting to plant in this monstrosity of a tank, I am worrying I won't be able to reach into it well especially when I have to get up on this step ladder. I am 5'10" tall.

Any suggestions or tools that you can think of to help? Do they make long aquascaping tools? I know they do make long feeding tongs for lizards and such, but that seems harsh when handling small plants. I was going to buy expensive ADA or UNS tools, but it seems pointless if they are too short for me to reach into the aquarium properly. All of my plants are tissue cultures.

I guess I am just wondering if I should have gone with a smaller tank or a smaller cabinet, but having already spending $1500 on just that set up, I want to make the best of it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you haven’t bought plants you could just get lower maintenance plants like Java fern and anubias

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that, but that is definitely not the route I wanted to go because I have an expensive GLA pro dual stage CO2 system, Bulk Reef RODI 7-stage system, two Kessils, Fluval FX6, and a Pentair UV sterilizer with an additional expensive self-priming pump from Goulds and have spent hundreds on hardscape, so I definitely did not want low maintenance. I understand others would require a lot more maintaining. I don't mind doing the work, but I need to make it easier. I should have pointed out in the previous post that the aquarium is 200 lbs. I cannot lift it by myself, so it's not like I can move it around. I can easily get inside the aquarium, but it's the cabinet that makes it more difficult.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It’s just my opinion,but I think you bought a lot of redundant stuff , a tank really only need a filter a heater and maybe lights,that’s for technology of course you wound need substrate etc, you can check online shopping platforms for cheaper equipment,but if you already spent money on all the tech why not just spend a little more on equipment?, I think your priorities are set wrongly

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What equipment do you mean? I do have ADA substrate, lava rock, power sand, etc. My question was concerning an easier way to plant in the tank due to how deep the aquarium is. I was wondering about if there were like extra long pinettes, tongs, etc for planting in larger tanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What equipment do you mean? I do have ADA substrate, lava rock, power sand, etc. My question was concerning an easier way to plant in the tank due to how deep the aquarium is. I was wondering about if there were like extra long pinettes, tongs, etc for planting in larger tanks.
I mean redundant stuff like Co2 and UV lights ,I would have left those two out and just bought the tongs that you are describing

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't have carpeting plants without CO2 and the UV was for the algae and the control livestock disease/parasites. I just didn't know if any longer aquascaping tools like tongs, etc. existed. That is why I asked. I never see any on any online storefronts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't have carpeting plants without CO2 and the UV was for the algae and the control livestock disease/parasites. I just didn't know if any longer aquascaping tools like tongs, etc. existed. That is why I asked. I never see any on any online storefronts.
There are other ways to control algae and some mosses don’t need Co2,I have Java moss in a no Co2 tank and it’s growing great,what stores have you checked? Amazon has some options

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I did look on Amazon and they have some long tongs for feeding lizards or snakes, but I don't know if they could handle sensitive plants I am trying to put in the soil. No large pinnettes or scissors or special tweezers that are straight and curved, at least not at the length I might need. I have also saw a lot of aquascaping tools on Aqua Forest (ADA) and on BucePlants (UNS), which is where I was going to buy them. They are great quality. The only problem is they seem kind of small, so I didn't think they could reach that far down into the substrate. Then again, I don't know how many inches it would be after I put in the substrate. I will have some mesh bags of lava rock for depth and some foam and egg crate under that because one of my Frodo stones is 50 pounds so I definitely don't want it smashing the bottom. I know there will definitely be some lift, but I don't want to run into the problem of my arm not being able to comfortably reach that far down. I want to get this tank growing and healthy before I ever add any fish or shrimp, which would be in my estimation about six months. I know I could probably do it sooner, but I would like an established tank. When I do get to that stage I want about 40 ember tetra, 40 chili rasboras and then 30 to 40 cherry shrimp and 30 to 40 amano shrimp. Maybe some otos. For centerpiece fish, I though of about maybe five or six threadfin rainbows. I could also get a small school of pygmy corydorys.

Most of the plants I am hoping to grow are types of carpeting plants and more stem plants like various types of rotala. I am not knocking java fern or java moss, but it was not necessarily the vision I had in mind when planning this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, the tongs are to insert the plants into the soil. They need to be long because my tank is 24 inches deep. I am not talking about for fish. I said the longest tools I have found that will reach are the type you feed reptiles with. But those are not tweezers meant for plants.

·
Registered
276 Posts
sounds like a nice setup, hope you post the build.

agree as to the xtra-long tongs. very useful. i use the typical bbq tongs more than anything. guessing mine are about 15".

as to your specific point, you might check out the 24" marlin ss shears and forceps. imo, essential for taller tanks/stands.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My 75g is 20" x 20". I am about 5'8". I bought one of those exercise platforms as a stepstool thinking that I would need it. My tool set is this. These were remarkably inexpensive and work so well that I seldom use the stool. Perhaps that same brand makes a longer set.

It seems to me that most of the issues with reach will be with your initial planting. I doubt that you will be doing much re-scaping with a tank that size. I think that you have all of the makings for a really good tank and even with low maintenance plants the CO2 will help a great deal with keeping algae at bay.

BTW. You will get a lot of advice here. I tend to listen to advice from members who have journals showing good looking well maintained tanks.

Keep us updated on your progress.

It’s just my opinion,but I think you bought a lot of redundant stuff , a tank really only need a filter a heater and maybe lights,that’s for technology of course you wound need substrate etc, you can check online shopping platforms for cheaper equipment,but if you already spent money on all the tech why not just spend a little more on equipment?, I think your priorities are set wrongly
Interesting thoughts. We might be able to get a better idea of your success using these methods if you could post some pictures of your tank(s). Nothing supports one's assertions as well as a good photo.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting thoughts. We might be able to get a better idea of your success using these methods if you could post some pictures of your tank(s). Nothing supports one's assertions as well as a good photo.

Thanks!
These are just observations from my friends tanks they managed to grow a java moss bonsai without any fancy equipment,plus the OP seems to not want to spend too much money yet he buys so much unnecessary equipment that’s very counterintuitive

·
Registered
30 Posts
sounds like a nice setup, hope you post the build.

agree as to the xtra-long tongs. very useful. i use the typical bbq tongs more than anything. guessing mine are about 15".

as to your specific point, you might check out the 24" marlin ss shears and forceps. imo, essential for taller tanks/stands.
ME TOO with the bbq tongs! 😂 My tank is 36" tall.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 68g tank is 24” tall. I am 5’4”. My substrate is about 2” deep at the front and built up in the back (with mesh bags of lava rock) to about 6-7”. I have a step stool and bought long pinchers and scissors, but to be honest, I don’t even bother with the tools much, or the stool. I wear a tank top so the sleeves don’t get wet and reach in to plant, rescape and prune leaves with my fingers. Even with the carpet in the front. The 9.8” bent scissors are nice. You still have to put your arm in, but they trim the Monte Carlo nicely and can reach in to a thick area of foliage to get a specific leaf cut off.
Eyelash Bicycle fork Musical instrument accessory Water Tool

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I have a rimless aquarium that's 90 gal (dimensions are 36x24x24). The cabinet it sits on is made of plywood and is also 24 inches tall from floor to where aquarium sits. I have a step ladder, but in wanting to plant in this monstrosity of a tank, I am worrying I won't be able to reach into it well especially when I have to get up on this step ladder. I am 5'10" tall.

Any suggestions or tools that you can think of to help? Do they make long aquascaping tools? I know they do make long feeding tongs for lizards and such, but that seems harsh when handling small plants. I was going to buy expensive ADA or UNS tools, but it seems pointless if they are too short for me to reach into the aquarium properly. All of my plants are tissue cultures.

I guess I am just wondering if I should have gone with a smaller tank or a smaller cabinet, but having already spending $1500 on just that set up, I want to make the best of it.
Thanks.
I just planted a 4 ft tank today that is 25 inches deep sitting on a 36 inch stand. I stood on a 12 inch step and had no problems at all. I am only 2 inches taller than you and, again, it was easy work (and I am 70 years old).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would personally just put a towel down and prepare to get my arms wet. I would buy long thongs and make it work. You can do it. It's gonna look great. Now that I am a bit more experienced I too, like others, would advise slower growing plants. a buce tank comes to mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a copy of "Sunken Gardens" as well. Excellent reference book to have!

My 68g tank is 24” tall. I am 5’4”. My substrate is about 2” deep at the front and built up in the back (with mesh bags of lava rock) to about 6-7”. I have a step stool and bought long pinchers and scissors, but to be honest, I don’t even bother with the tools much, or the stool. I wear a tank top so the sleeves don’t get wet and reach in to plant, rescape and prune leaves with my fingers. Even with the carpet in the front. The 9.8” bent scissors are nice. You still have to put your arm in, but they trim the Monte Carlo nicely and can reach in to a thick area of foliage to get a specific leaf cut off.
View attachment 1032431
View attachment 1032433

1 - 20 of 25 Posts