The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually need 2 heaters. One for my Biocube which can be hidden in the back chambers and the other for my 20L.

Where can I find out information regarding aquarium heaters?

Here is what I want to know:

-Trusted Brands
-Wattage Needs
-Bargains Vs. Top-Of-The-Line

I have several old used heater sitting here at home, but I am not sure I can trust them even if they pass the 5 gallon bucket test for a few days...

·
Registered
214 Posts
From my limited researching, I've heard that Eheim Jager heaters are a good brand. The wattage needed for your tank size (in gallons) is included in most product listings of thermostat heaters. If you're unsure, you can also go under (that is, less wattage than recommended). Multiple thermostats are better than one in case of failure. Also, I would buy a good quality thermostat. Seems like the bargain/cheap ones can fail in horrific ways that I don't want to ever deal with. For example, they can crack - glass! Or they can get stuck and boil your fish. Buy quality equipment! That's a good general rule.

I found this table included with the product listing of an Eheim Jager thermostat heater. I compared it to 2 other brands. The tables vary a bit & this one seems more conservative, especially toward the large end.

Watts / Recommended Tank Size / Heater Length
50 7-16 gallons 9"
75 16-26 gallons 10"
100 26-40 gallons 12"
125 40-53 gallons 12"
150 53-79 gallons 13"
200 79-106 gallons 15"
250 106-159 gallons 17"
300 159-264 gallons 19"

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a jager laying around. Seems to be working well. I'm looking for another heater though for my other tank. I'll look into the inline...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.