The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can get LARGE pieces of wood? I have googled and everything not come up with much of anything I see tons of tanks on here with huge pieces and I'm so jealous I can't find anything big enough

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
None with the kind of wood I'm looking for. All we have here is like pine spruce birch poplar....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing large enough probably gonna cost me a fortune to get what I want ��

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Get a few pieces and put them together, not with glue, just arrange them together (well you could glue them). Large pieces of wood which look nice are really hard to come by. A lot of people here don't actually have large pieces and just have put some together, although of course some do have these wonderful god sent hardscape they've found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Depending on where in Canada you are, there are a couple fish stores around Rochester NY that have some bigger pieces... nothing massive but they would be good for a 55 gallon as the only piece... not the most exciting pieces, but they are bigger...

Also I have successfully used maple in my tanks after drying it and peeling the bark... if you're looking for a piece with interesting character, find something the appropriate size with lots of branching/knots/etc and try splitting it with a long splitter, out an axe and hammer... similar to how they make old school board and singles

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on where in Canada you are, there are a couple fish stores around Rochester NY that have some bigger pieces... nothing massive but they would be good for a 55 gallon as the only piece... not the most exciting pieces, but they are bigger...

Also I have successfully used maple in my tanks after drying it and peeling the bark... if you're looking for a piece with interesting character, find something the appropriate size with lots of branching/knots/etc and try splitting it with a long splitter, out an axe and hammer... similar to how they make old school board and singles
Pretty central Alberta south of Edmonton 60mi

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Find a local Arborist. You can get some hardwood tree stumps that are hollow and look amazing debarked and sanded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts