The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just recently build a "frame" for my DIY aquarium stand. I now plan on "skinning" it with some nice Oak plywood. I'm kind of puzzled about cabinet doors. Can I skin the front, mount the aquarium stand doors and then use a jigsaw to cut out the openings for the cabinet doors? If so what kind of hinges should I use.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I want to make a 2x4 frame and skin the two sides with plywood. The front will not have plywood with holes, I plan on using two pieces of plywood that take up the whole opening. These hinges work with ADA style and cheap furniture because the diameter of the sides is only half inch. However, when using 2x4's what would be the best way?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The hinges I linked to will work with either overlapping or inset doors, as long as the cabinet side or front that the cabinet side of the hinge attaches too has about 2 inches of space to attach the hinge to. So a 2x4 corner post, skinned with plywood, will work fine, as will a plain 3/4 plywood side and no post. They won't work with a hole cut in the front panel with the door fitting that hole.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, I think I found the easiest and cheapest way to make my stand then. I will just have to ask the wife what she thinks of it. Might be too minimalist for her since there will be no trim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts