The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Folks,

I came across a 25-Gallon that is being given away though the tank was poorly kept and will require a serious cleaning including to deal with the smell. I was thinking of filling the tank to the brim with tap water and a cup of bleech, letting it soak, and giving it a good cleaning in one-two days. I did, however, want to check whether soaking the tank with bleech is a good idea or what others might recommend. Open to any suggestions.

~Tyger (Michael)~

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
+1, Razor blades work really well cleaning off mineral deposits, always push the blade forward lift, reset and clean another area. Never drag the blade backwards while still in contact with the glass as this will cause it to scratch the glass.

If your worried about the tanks unknown history when you water test the tank add 10ml of H2O2 per gallon (or a tad more) drop in a power head to keep things moving and in an hour any bio your concerned about maybe being on the seam sealant will be history. 3% hydrogen peroxide has many uses and is safer than bleach.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Mr. Clean magic eraser. You will never use anything else again. Get the non chemical one and you can even use it with fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.