The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am in the market for a larger aquarium. I have two options on craigslist, a 180 gallon regular for $175, does need to be resealed. The other option is a170 gallon curved front tank which currently leaks on the bottom and needs a resealing. Based on your opinions is a rectangle tank better than a bow front, or vice versa? I do know bow front can tend to distort but on a large tank would this be much of an issue? As far as planting goes is one better than the other? Lastly, I also have seen a few 120s that look decent, in terms of sizing for a planted tank. Just am unsure on which item to choose, any input or advice, greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Personally I wouldn't take on re-sealing a tank that large till I'd done at least
a couple that were smaller. 180 gallons of water on the floor is a serious mess.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Where is the leak? $175 for a 180 is not a bad price. If the leak is the bottom seam under the trim, it won't be to hard to fix. If its a corner seam, offer $150. Corners require more disassembly to fix.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
If you have not done a few already, I would pass on both. You can better spend the time and effort.
But if going with either, I do not favor bow fronts as they tend to be a bit of pain for finding things like canopies and lights to go on top. Just personal choice in many cases.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Bow fronts scare me when they get that big... I know they shouldn't but they do....

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
As someone who has had both a 46 gallon bowfront and 120 gallon tank suddenly leak - spend the money to get a new one. A sudden leak, especially on a large tank, is perhaps the most traumatic thing a fishkeeper can experience. Think about all the expenditures that go into creating a planted tank - filters, lights, substrate, flora and fauna. On a tank that size especially, the cost of the tank itself is chump change when compared to everything else. It's definitely worth spending a few hundred extra to ensure you get a tank that can be enjoyed for years to come without leaks or other problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.