The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned an aquarium store until it was closed by COVID. We had only been open a couple weeks when we were shut down by the state. We opened again 5 weeks later only to have very little business and costs through the roof. In short, the outcome was dismal.

This tank was one of the tanks we sold plants out of:

Plant Wood Flooring Floor Rectangle

To get a sense of scale, here is the tank the day we found it covered in dust strapped to a pole:

Wood Tradesman Beam Carpenter Building

He's holding a 4 foot T square. :)

It is 12 foot long by 18 tall by 16 deep. I sold it when the store closed and the guy couldn't set it up so I am getting it back to setup planted again.
A good friend breeds discus and angels and is supplying me with 5 of each very beautiful fish. I will source the smaller fish I want.

My wife wanted to buy me a building for a man cave so we have ordered a 10x20 with extra floor joists, a nicer door and different window placement than standard and colors to match our house and metal roof.

The building will also house a red sea reefer 625XXL with a reef in it. There will also be two 30x30x10 acrylic tanks for coral frags and plant cuttings and a 36x36x18 clown and anemone tank.

I have 3 3d printers going in the building with a small seating area in the center of the room.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Sorry for your business loss through no fault of yours!

I'm looking forward to your new plans and especially setting that 12 foot long tank back up. Good luck with your new endeavors.

Reactions: dantimdad

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow!! Sorry to hear about your shop. I look forward to seeing how this all develops.

Where are you located? I am only trying to get a gauge on the amount of heating or cooling it would take to manage a tank that size in a standard out building.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in North Alabama. Going to use a 1 ton mini split with dehumifier. Way overkill just like I like it. :)

Also adding an emergency humidity controlled exhaust fan. If it goes above a preset point, it will evacuate 2x the volume of air in the building in about 20 minutes. Hopefully, that won't have to happen often.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, keep in mind, we are putting R13 in the walls and R19 in the ceiling and moisture proof drywall. Vapor barrier and moisture resistant laminate 8mm flooring. The door is a foam core steel door and insulated glass single hung vinyl window on one end. It will be like a mini house when done.

All three of my 3d printers and one of my computers will be on a long bench under the window and we will tie the building in with the house security and cameras. As you know, electronics don't much like humidity. ;)

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,837 Posts
I am in North Alabama. Going to use a 1 ton mini split with dehumifier. Way overkill just like I like it. :)

Also adding an emergency humidity controlled exhaust fan. If it goes above a preset point, it will evacuate 2x the volume of air in the building in about 20 minutes. Hopefully, that won't have to happen often.
Interesting location. A friend of mine, @burr740 lives in that area and seems to have an endless supply of plants :cool:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Looking forward to your updates!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW! That is a LOT of tank!!

I don't know whether to admire your gumptiom........or to think you are flat out nuts!! 😆

I am looking forward to following this build. Keep the updates. Looks like an epic build.

We are looking at crazy in the rearview! Been in the hobby since 1973 and have only been without a tank during basic, and a divorce. I have had as many as 30 personal tanks at once and had over 70 in the store including an 8 foot across shark and ray pool.

·
Planted Tanker
6,051 Posts
Idk what's cooler that 12' tank or the man cave mini-house its going in. Will be interesting to watch it come together, keep the updates coming!!

Interesting location. A friend of mine, @burr740 lives in that area and seems to have an endless supply of plants :cool:
You think he will mind if I contact him to buy?
Just say the word and we'll fill that sucker up! :) I usually have a sale post going here in the for sale section. Things go fast but you can look back over the last few to get an idea. Shoot me a mssg any time for a current list

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Idk what's cooler that 12' tank or the man cave mini-house its going in. Will be interesting to watch it come together, keep the updates coming!!

Just say the word and we'll fill that sucker up! :) I usually have a sale post going here in the for sale section. Things go fast but you can look back over the last few to get an idea. Shoot me a mssg any time for a current list
I plan on keeping the updates coming as they happen.
Right now it’s mainly work on the Red Sea reefer since it will require the most work to setup.
The 12 foot will be simple: two canisters and co2 with a diy light setup.
I’m looking forward to having my own space for sure.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've got a couple of those a80s, and I just can't imagine lighting a tank that big with them. I'm also not too hot on Kessil spectrum on their lights that don't have an independent red channel (like the a80). Your mileage may vary on that of course.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
What are your thoughts on 6 kessil a80 tuna sun lights for the 12 foot tank? Since the tank is only 16 deep and 18" tall, I figured these would work.

They are cheap enough to add more if I need to but, the highest light plant with be micro sword so I am not sure this will be necessary.
As a start, you'd be better off w) 3 fluvals and hanging kits

36" fluval is 54w w large spectrum adj.
Kessil a80 is 15w and adj from 6000-9000k.
Price difference is like $50 each.
If you doubled the row for a ton of growth the cost/ return is probably worth it.
$1110 for 6, 276 watts
Kessil.. $834/6. 90w.

Reactions: dantimdad

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I decided on lights. Dunno why I though about anything else. When I had the store, our plant grow out tanks in the back (8x55 and 16x20 long) were all lit by these:

I am going to run two rows of three in a hanging canopy to keep the glare down and make it look nicer.

Should be plenty of light as they grew plants really well in the store.

BTW, there is a coupon right now and you get 12 plus all the hardware for $79.99

1 - 20 of 32 Posts