The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am working on my first tank and created a very nice spreadsheet for creating a budget. I figured I might as well share it for anyone else in the planning phases.

Here is a quick screenshot:

You set the total amount you want to spend and it will calculate your current total costs and how much you are under or over. I tried to break it up into sensible categories but you can change them easily. It will calculate the total costs for each item and category then add them to the project total.

Due to the attachment limitations I have put the spreadsheet in a zip file. I included both an .xlsx and .xls version.

If you are using Office 2007 or later use the .XLSX which is the native format.

If anyone finds any problems or has questions let me know!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I probably won't use it (if I don't set a budget I can't be mad at myself for going over it), but this is definitely a nice spreadsheet.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Kudos to that! My budget is the wife, if she sees too many new things coming in for the tank, she gets mad. Too few, she doesn't say anything. So I space my purchases out
Learn how to "age" the new equipment. :)
Also, putting stuff in the closet and taking them out while doing work on the tanks works well. I've gotten a lot of boating equipment through that way in the earlier years. Now I don't care. Easier to apologize than to ask permission after all. But then again I've been married to her for a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny how quickly this thread switched directions! I guess next I will need to create a spreadsheet to keep track of "found" equipment so that we can keep our stories straight.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm a huge believer in "ignorance is bliss;" I enjoy the aquarium and it'd be depressing to know exactly what costs.

Just like that "kill-a-watt" thing; it tells you what the power draw is and how much it is costing you. . . . I'm thinking, the fish will freeze without the heater, the plants will melt without the light, and the water will go toxic without the filter: I really con't care how much power its using, TYVM.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Im on the band wagon here I'd rather not know.

If i only spent 500 on my tanks so far I'd be more then happy but I know for a fact I have alot more then that in it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hahaha good luck. Over the years of this addiction you will blow so much money. You do not want to keep track of it. After 13 years of this hobby and keeping 3-5 tanks at a time running I don't want to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts