The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently went through a move across town and ended up selling all of my fish back to Petland to make the move less stressful and to take my time (and a change is always nice). I bagged all of my plants but had some complications which let the plants a little too long in the bags, about 5 days.

There's a lot of die-off and melting, but I think most of them will pull through with enough ferts and co2. In the process, there's quite a bit of detritus and rotting plant material. The tank has no occupants yet, but I'm wondering what yall would suggest as the first thing to put in there, maybe something that would love to eat all of that plant matter.

I'm assuming just toss a handful of olive nerites in there, but would ghost shrimp be interested in helping the clean up? I don't want to go more expensive than ghost shrimp, as I plan on stocking with rainbowfish and I know cherry shrimp would make an expensive snack.

Otherwise, I can just be patient and wait for the nitrates to go down from the detritus. I imagine most of the recommendation would be to get off my ass and trim all of it, but it's a lot of blyxa japonica and corkscrew vals and trimming might do the plants more harm than good because of their delicate nature right now.

I've included a pic of the new scape, scraggly as it is right now. It's a 120 gallon 4x2x2 high light co2 setup, with EI dosing regiment. Looking forward to a large school of rummynose, a large variety of rainbowfish, and a few different pairs of keyholes and bolivian rams.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Some things I would suggest depends on your attitude toward Microfuana and your future stocking plans.

You could stock your tank with these Ostracods, daphnia, rotifers, ceriodaphnia, copepods, tubifex worms, and amphipods feed them dried plankton as an added food source they will take care of the detritus and I have found that they will not bother healthy plants. As you then stock yout tank with fish they become a food source for them; like an inbetween meal snack. :)

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a pretty excellent idea wespastor. I'll check in with my LFS and see what they can offer locally in that regard.

·
Registered
537 Posts
That's a pretty excellent idea wespastor. I'll check in with my LFS and see what they can offer locally in that regard.
I the greater Clevalnd area I have NOT found one LF that has these or was willing to order them for me ... maybe they don't know where to get them from.

The sourse I found is quite pricey ... I have not ordered from them before ... I am about to bite the bullet next month. Here a link:

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/index.html

Go for plankmix1 or plankmix2 and a powdered plankton kit to feed them

They have everything one could need in the live food areana and its all lab raised so they are safe rather than collecting from a pond or stream (which can be done but...)

Best wishes,
Wes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts