The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got some bday/xmass $$ that i want to spend on finshing setting up my 1st planted tank.
I have most of the gear now. just need to get in to it.

tank is a waterbox 2420 around 33 gal. for filtration i have the oase thermo 600 i was jut goonna ue there spray par for now t,hen down the road "upgrade" to a nice lilly pipe set.

then I came across the Aquario Neo Flow lily pipes I like that there smallish clear and will hide in the tank + there not easy to break like a glass set. they also have a skimmer I would like to not use one if i can. I dislike having gear in the DT. ( almost went with a sumpped tank just for this reason.)

so my question is anyone used these? will the skimmer keep the film down?
worth the upgrade over the stock Oase inlet/outflow.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Well everyone is different, but if you purchased a rimless tank for the aesthetic then, yeah lily pipes to me are a given. The only downside is the cleaning, which you'll probably have to do at least once a month. I'm not big on skimmers since it's more noticeable than just a straight lily pipe and if you have film it probably means the pipes will get dirty faster. Better to prevent the film to begin with, by watching feeding and removing any dead plant matter, etc.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well everyone is different, but if you purchased a rimless tank for the aesthetic then, yeah lily pipes to me are a given. The only downside is the cleaning, which you'll probably have to do at least once a month. I'm not big on skimmers since it's more noticeable than just a straight lily pipe and if you have film it probably means the pipes will get dirty faster. Better to prevent the film to begin with, by watching feeding and removing any dead plant matter, etc.
not sure if i will have surface scum or not as the tank is dry, just thinking proactive here.
and I totally agree about aesthetics of rimless tanks and lilly pipes. just dont want to do the glass ones at this stage of my aqua scaping and stainless steel is nice but these poly lilly pipes might just be the best of both words??

the dont break like SS but look nice like the glass ones + there small with i really like.
all that sias just wanted some more feedback from other aquascapers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as they're easy to clean than I agree the poly is a win-win. I have a neo diffuser that is poly and it cleans really well. Other than that I have two sets of glass lily pipes in case of breakage, but once you get used to handling them they really don't break that easy.
that is what I was thinking. get used to cleaning with these if the turn yellow or all market up then get a nice pair of glass ones after I learn the "ropes"

if all goes well tho hopefully these will be a one and done type of thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts