The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking into the first two methods of taking care of our underwater ecosystem.

for years people have been doing water changes and we all know it works BUT does that mean its the only method of taking care of your aquarium. i would like to know your thoughts about which of these three you prefer, why you prefer it, whether you use combinations etc.

:)

· Children Boogie
16,742 Posts
Water changes is good for the animals and does replenish some minerals plants need although weekly is much in a natural aquarium. Every month or 2 is good. I haven't changed my water in my natural aquarium in a long while though.

· Registered
5,740 Posts
I've done both + ripariums. Granted the aquaponic system for was a giant pleco that was a poop monster so I still had to do 2x a week 20% water changes to get all his poop up (so much poop x.x) but the benefit of getting your own fresh and truly organic food (bonus if tank and fish have NEVER had meds since you got them) definitely makes it worth it for the initial cost and hassle of setup. I have a walsted tank and i still do water changes because its a pico and snails make it messy looking with their poop again but nitrate wise I don't have to be doing so much water changing.
Agree with the above about replenishing minerals.. BUT if you use ro/di water and dose minterals/ferts yourself then congratulations! You can skip the water removal and add in part perminently!

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aqua Aurora thank you some much. this was the information i have been waiting to hear for 3 days lool. im gonna try a mini aquaponics with bamboo and spider plant in my HOB and see what the effect is. having live plants in my tank and outside is pleasing to look at. my tank will be quite under stocked with tetra, rams and hatchet fish.

the walsted method is good but the thing that puts me off is that most of the tanks that work by that method look ugly IMO. im sorry but the majority are an eyesore.

right now im going to use peat filtration. i really hate the amount of water RO units produce but i will invest in one anyway (i guess my garden will benefit).

cheers

· Registered
824 Posts
the walsted method is good but the thing that puts me off is that most of the tanks that work by that method look ugly IMO. im sorry but the majority are an eyesore.
cheers
It's a matter of taste. I saw really nice Walstad tanks on this forum. I like mines anyway.

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Tank Filtration

Hello Aqua...

Research the use of land plants in the tank to help maintain the water chemistry. I've found the Aglaonema (Chinese evergreen) helps maintain low nitrogen levels in planted tanks. The more plants of this type you use, the less the need for water changes.

B

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i have researched it in depth so i know what youre talking about. just recently i have discovered another method of reducing the nitrates in the water.

basically its the concept of having a deep sand bed that will act as a place for aerobic, anaerobic and anoxic zones where different types of bacteria will live and help with the water chemistry.

here the link: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_7/volume_7_1/dsb.html

one problem i have is if i were to use aquaponics in conjunction with lives plants and DSB while having a light bio load of fish. there mine not be enough nitrates for all three options. one of the three will suffer.

· Registered
5,572 Posts
I signed on for water changes when I began keeping fishes four decades ago ,and have had good result's with regular water changes.
Walstad tank's I have seen were small and very few fishes.
Could perhap's get away with monthly water changes in these type tanks with lot's of plant's.
Have yet to see water changes hurt fishes/plant's unless...they are few and far between.
If the twenty minutes it takes to change out a portion of water in my tanks became an issue,I would quit the hobby.

· Registered
1,701 Posts
Aqua Aurora thank you some much. this was the information i have been waiting to hear for 3 days lool. im gonna try a mini aquaponics with bamboo and spider plant in my HOB and see what the effect is. having live plants in my tank and outside is pleasing to look at. my tank will be quite under stocked with tetra, rams and hatchet fish.

right now im going to use peat filtration. i really hate the amount of water RO units produce but i will invest in one anyway (i guess my garden will benefit).

cheers
Looks aside, you've missed the point of Walstad's method. That point is, it works.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know the walstad method work but the disadvantage for me is that it doesn't suit my taste. i never said it didnt work.

guys guys i know the miracles that can be achieved with water changes cause i have been doing them all my life. however, what i also want to achieve is an ecosystem that doesnt 100% rely on heavy 50% water changes every week.. with my old tanks i had to do 50% water changes every wee because if i missed one week i would have problems. i remember i missed one week and i had a green algae and brown algae bloom. the tank was overstocked with fish and had no plants. i stripped it down and now it is heavily planted with a deep sand bed. im planning to understock it, over filtrate it and use some aquaponics. doing 50% water changes every week in a setup like that would have NO PROBLEMS to the tank, but is it really necessary in this particular setup?

would doing 15-25% water changes weekly be a bad thing in a setup like this?

would doing 50% water changes but less frequently (2-3 weeks) be a bad thing in a set up like this?

i have my 8 gallon where i have a betta and did 25% water changes each week. it had no plants also but my betta did fine and the tank is stable. then i introduced alot of plants and some cherry shrimp. if the water is getting bad my cherry shrimp will stop eating and swim all over the tank and into the filter flow. i do 25% water changes every two weeks and the tank is betta and shrimp are still thriving. but because im not doing water changes every week people will tell me "You will have problems" but its been like this for 5 months and they are all thriving. Im i doing a bad thing?

again let me stress this to you guys, i am not against water changes in any way. i haven't said "i wont be doing water changes anymore". im saying with the particular setup im establishing. is major frequent ones necessary? hope this clears up the confusion. :)

· Registered
1,701 Posts
i know the walstad method work but the disadvantage for me is that it doesn't suit my taste. i never said it didnt work.

guys guys i know the miracles that can be achieved with water changes cause i have been doing them all my life. however, what i also want to achieve is an ecosystem that doesnt 100% rely on heavy 50% water changes every week.. with my old tanks i had to do 50% water changes every wee because if i missed one week i would have problems. i remember i missed one week and i had a green algae and brown algae bloom. the tank was overstocked with fish and had no plants. i stripped it down and now it is heavily planted with a deep sand bed. im planning to understock it, over filtrate it and use some aquaponics. doing 50% water changes every week in a setup like that would have NO PROBLEMS to the tank, but is it really necessary in this particular setup?

would doing 15-25% water changes weekly be a bad thing in a setup like this?

would doing 50% water changes but less frequently (2-3 weeks) be a bad thing in a set up like this?

i have my 8 gallon where i have a betta and did 25% water changes each week. it had no plants also but my betta did fine and the tank is stable. then i introduced alot of plants and some cherry shrimp. if the water is getting bad my cherry shrimp will stop eating and swim all over the tank and into the filter flow. i do 25% water changes every two weeks and the tank is betta and shrimp are still thriving. but because im not doing water changes every week people will tell me "You will have problems" but its been like this for 5 months and they are all thriving. Im i doing a bad thing?

again let me stress this to you guys, i am not against water changes in any way. i haven't said "i wont be doing water changes anymore". im saying with the particular setup im establishing. is major frequent ones necessary? hope this clears up the confusion. :)
Keep the fauna population on the low side is the key.

· Registered
1,701 Posts

:)
Let me say it another way. You are criticizing method for the wrong reason. That method's emphasis is how to grow plants with minimal effort and expense. It says practically nothing about aquascaping.
Here's but one example using the Walstad method and combining that with aquascaping not resulting in an "eye sore".
http://ct-att.com/aquarium-aquascap...rium-natural-planted-tank-walstad-method.html
You see one can aquascape so I don't see why you have such a negative outlook?

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Who says I have such a negative outlook. I'm currently I have been currently reading the book. With alot of the videos and images that I have seen with the walstad method don't look nice to me. Sorry if my opinion hurts anyone.
Also not that I said "most" and "alot" I never said all which means that I haven't seen all the walstad tanks in the world. I'm sure there are many that look amazing. But the ones I have seen don't.

· Registered
1,941 Posts
Low Maintenance Tanks

Hello...

Low maintenance tanks have been around for several years. If you emerse the root balls of the Chinese evergreen, you can keep the ammonia and nitrite at zero and the nitrates in the 10 ppm range. The more plants you use, the better the water conditions. Add to the plants an aggressive water change routine and you have a balanced tank. The attached pic is a 55 gallon tank with a combination of land and aquatic plants. The tank has been running for roughly 5 years and is heavily stocked with Guppies, Corydoras and Platys. Half the water is changed weekly and the plants trimmed regularly to maintain steady growth. The filtration is minimal, because the plants and water changes keep the dissolved wastes out. The tank water was tested a couple of times when the tank was set up, but not since. Tank takes minimal care, maybe a couple of hours weekly.

Easy peezee.

B

Attachments

· Registered
1,701 Posts
Who says I have such a negative outlook. I'm currently I have been currently reading the book. With alot of the videos and images that I have seen with the walstad method don't look nice to me. Sorry if my opinion hurts anyone.
Also not that I said "most" and "alot" I never said all which means that I haven't seen all the walstad tanks in the world. I'm sure there are many that look amazing. But the ones I have seen don't.
I did quote your impression "eye sore". That sound pretty negative don't you think? Perhaps the people that use her natural method also prefer a natural look? To each their own I say.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay i understand where you are coming from. The tanks I saw looked like they were in a terrible state. The tank was healthy and the fish where but visually unappealing to me. That is my opinion. Everything else about the system is awesome and works great as alot of people have claimed. My one tiny criticism which you are kinda making a big deal is when say it's an "eye sore". Let's soften the phrase and say 'the looks don't fit my taste'. But there are some tanks that use the method that's look attractive to me. But that's a minority. I love the whole concept of the ecosystem working for itself. But I don't like the look. Is that so bad?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.