The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey dudes, this is my first effort with a nano - ish tank. its been up and running for approx 18 months and has had many layouts and fish. generally its been cursed fish wise, basically everything i have put in it has jumped within 3 months for inexplicable reasons. water always tests fine.

its current got a unknown number of RCS and 6 tetra's.

having a battle with algea lately after getting a little carried away with some root tabs, also a battle with film has started in the last week.

its about to get rescaped for the 10th time probably, i have yet to be able to get it right. the right side will get totally we done and some chop and change will happen as im in the middle of setting up a 4x2x2.

its lit by 2 x beams works led's mostly because they were the cheapest but i think i replace them soon. they halved planted growth i reckon from when it had the stock PL with 1x beams works. not sure with what yet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Doesn't look all that unhappy to me. Sure its not Amano but the plants seem vibrant and healthy, which is more than many of us can say about ours. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
You running co2? I had a similar problem recently with film on the water. I added more flow to the tank. In my case a second hob. Raising the light a bit may help with algae but that could be a premature assessment without knowing you setup.
I don't think the tank looks too bad either by the way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no c02, im all about low tech/max laziness. i did bump up the flow 1 click on the powerhead so will see if that sorts it. i am going to re do the lights soon. bot at all happy with the beamsworks so ill play around then.

im real slack with trimming, i cant remember the last time i did anything but pull out the dead leaves.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think it's a nice looking little jungle :) The film on the glass is probably a symptom of over fertilizing, as you stated with too many root tabs. Just do maybe a few extra water changes. You've already turned up your powerhead, so it sounds like it's on its way. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Small fish jump.

Its just how it goes. White Clouds jump. Rasboras jump. Endlers FLY. I have lids on all my small tanks - and STILL the fish occasionally squeeze out in the 1/4" around the edge.

When the water is higher (where is looks best) the fish leave at a more alarming rate. When its lower (1/2" or so) they fly out much less frequently.

Your cube looks rockin. Some trimmage and you're doing fine. Look how clear it is and how the plants are growing!!

Nice.

-K

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's lovely!
thanks!

I think it's a nice looking little jungle :) The film on the glass is probably a symptom of over fertilizing, as you stated with too many root tabs. Just do maybe a few extra water changes. You've already turned up your powerhead, so it sounds like it's on its way. Good luck!
ohhh yeah, i should have thought of that! didnt even occur to me

Small fish jump.

Its just how it goes. White Clouds jump. Rasboras jump. Endlers FLY. I have lids on all my small tanks - and STILL the fish occasionally squeeze out in the 1/4" around the edge.

When the water is higher (where is looks best) the fish leave at a more alarming rate. When its lower (1/2" or so) they fly out much less frequently.

Your cube looks rockin. Some trimmage and you're doing fine. Look how clear it is and how the plants are growing!!

Nice.

-K
i didnt really realise, i have had all the same fish in my lidless 3ft tank and never had a issue. i had better clean the lid and put it back on.

This tank is bangin, it just needs some pfr's in there for color =]

Can't you see the hanging all over the plants!
whats Pfr?
smaller plants bro
i live the jungle look to much for that!
I like the wild look.
so do i, all my tanks end up jungle. partly because i like it and partly because im to lazy haha!

I suggest to place Java Fern to the background, and move the driftwood a bit forward to the foreground.
really? i love the java in the forground. i will experiment!

i just noticed how dirty the glass looks, thats another thing i am slack on!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what started off as a hungover water change, turned into a full rescape interrupted by a dinner engagement. it end up being fairly rushed but i think turned out well.

[/URL]

i think the java fern needs to be swapped with the sword on the left and i didnt trim the moss back anywhere near enough. need a background plant for the back rhs and something else for the left, or might be time to get rid of the wood. i have been wanting to play with rocks for awhile.

i also added in a red LED as a night light. i think it will look cool but i need to play with placement a little, or possibly add 2nd on the other side of the tank.

i think the next changes with this tank will be a canister and a new light setup. then possibly EI dosing down the track, or break it down and run dirt.! so many choices haha.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i recived a TDS meter in the mail today, so ill be able to get even lazier.

my tap water tests at 40ppm and this tank after no water change for appox 1.5 weeks was sitting at 67ppm. excited to watch this! i guess after 2.5 months of work im excited for anything though.

i also repositioned the red light whislt i was fiddling, hopefully it spreads better now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
question time. i have been noticing people growing plants in HOB filters lately. i havent been able to get the wording right to google it properly. but i want to try this. is it possible to put one in the filter on the back of my tank? or is it not a good idea to do in a filter that functions?

EDIT : stumbled upon a thread on here about it, didn't realise it was as simple as just putting the plants in. i thought the filters would be decommissioned.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Frenchie, your tank looks beautiful. Trim it, don't trim it, whatever is appealing to you. If your worried about jumping fish, google "DIY screen cover for aquarium", I just made one for my reef tank using Bulk Reef Supply clear screening. I was worried about it taking away from the rimless look, but more worried about my fish jumping. It actually looks ok, you can still tell the tank is rimless. When the stupid aquasoil stops leeching ammonia on the 2 cubes I set up last month, I plan on making one for both of them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
thank you! i do regret trimming it now. haha

i just had a look a that, good suggestion! i havent had a trouble with jumping fish for ages. i think the pre spray bar fish hated the flow and lately with the tetra's it was just their way of telling me i had to many in there.

i have chucked some java fern in the filter in the back after seeing what people have been doing with HOB's lately. i dunno how it will go but we will see. i am going to make this tank into a ripairum (sp) of sorts. my plan is to research it some more and using low humity plants. keeping the tank as it is now i plan on using maybe 2 hang on planters on the back and 1 on each side.

i havent really got any further with plans yet. in the process of working out where you get the planters and what you use for substrate or anything, so any advice there will be much appreciated!

Edit. thinking on it, the water level needs to stay high for the power head setup in my tank. (stock) hopefully this wont be a problem! but it may be the time to ditch the stock filter and by a canister.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

things are going okay, i recently saw flourish products locally for the first time at a lfs so i snapped up flourish, excel and trace. i have been dosing as advised/when i remember.

resulting in a pygmy sword explosion! really like this plant. on the down side i must not have the balance right as there im starting to get BBA every where. im not sure if i should start double dosing the excel or if i should stop dosing everything.

shrimp seem to be thriving as well, dont think i have lost any and they seem to be breeding well.

sorry about the pictures, photobucket seems to make them look super bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts