The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an AquaMedic regulator and solenoid and yesterday I noticed when the timer is off or when I unplug the solenoid , the CO2 can't be shut entirely. the bbm becomes smaller but I still can see bubbles come through bubble counter. How can I fix it? Thx.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
You probably have a bit of debris causing it from closing all the way.

Can you turn it on, open your needle valve all the way and blow "forceful" CO2 through it to get the debris out?

Alternatively, you can remove it and use compressed air. Just make sure the solenoid is open.

You may have to jiggle it a bit to get the debris out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel confused. I just shut off the main valve of CO2 cylinder. but when I turn on needle valve, I see the number of bubbles increases. How does this happen? there should be no CO2 out when the main valve is shut.

·
Registered
286 Posts
U must not have the tank shut all the way. Open it all the way, then close it all the way. If it was me I would take all the pieces apart, clean really well, then put it all back together. Try the air compressor idea, that would be the easiest. If you dont have one, go to a local auto repair facility, if you ask them nicely one of the mechanics will prolly help you blow it out free of charge. Good Luck!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I feel confused. I just shut off the main valve of CO2 cylinder. but when I turn on needle valve, I see the number of bubbles increases. How does this happen? there should be no CO2 out when the main valve is shut.
Whenever you turn the CO2 cylinder off; you will have "remnant" CO2 gas remaining between that closed cylinder valve and your needle valve. It may take a little while for all the gas to disperse through the solenoid and needle valve (if they are open), but it should quit flowing after a little while.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
What did you use to seal the fittings around your regulator? If you used teflon tape, that would be my first suspect; if a small piece managed to find its way into your solenoid, it would prevent it from closing all the way, and thus, you will see some gas.

However, since you also mentioned that after shutting off the main CO2 tank valve, you still see bubbles, it may simply be due to residual gas that is still present. My CO2 still goes for a couple minutes after my solenoid shuts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts