The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard the bioballs inside are suppose to be loose and spin around when on, but mine are packed super tight. I tried to remove one ball but didnt want to break the casing and i can barely spin it by force with my fingers thats how tight it is. Is this ok? Should i try to get one ball out?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The idea is that to get as much resistance as possible and hence increase the contact time of the CO2 with the water to maximize diffusion. The more resistance, the better diffusion - so leave all the bio-balls they gave you in the unit. HTH.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
i heard the bioballs inside are suppose to be loose and spin around when on, but mine are packed super tight. I tried to remove one ball but didnt want to break the casing and i can barely spin it by force with my fingers thats how tight it is. Is this ok? Should i try to get one ball out?
Nope, can't even budge mine.

Why would spinning help?

·
Registered
43 Posts
On mine, the 2 top balls seem to be floating and are always in a spinning frenzy. I tought it was behaving correctly my mixing the co2 with the water as it goes down the reactor.

JP

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i though the spinning would break up the co2 into finer bubbles and mix with water better?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
No practical experience here, but I would thing the turbulence would off gas the CO2, and create a bigger pocket of gas at the top.

JP, was yours new or used?
I would need pliers to get one out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

According to the specifications for this reactor, a flow of 1000l/h has to be provided for proper operation. Do you guys really provide this much flow? I am curious if this reactor would work if I supply less flow (maybe around 500l/h)...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought mine new. It came as a bundle when I purchase my complete co2 system (reactor, regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, needle valve, ph monitor). It is powered by an Eheim 2028 and seems to be working like a charm!

Not sure if it is actually suppose to spin, nor does it make a difference in efficiently diffusing the co2 - but mine does! :)

However i do have to occasionally open to air valve to refill the reactor with water. This could be due to 3 possible things:

- Either the spinning is creating to much turbulance as you say?
- Filter needs to be cleaned and is not providing optimum flow
- or I am feeding too many bps (usually after water change to get things going), which I usually turn down after a while.

At the end of the day all you need to do is calculate you co2 levels. If its way up there, with spinning balls or not, than you are good to go!

JP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts