The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tank
Aqualighter DAQUARIUM 5L (17 cm x 17 cm x 17 cm)

Light
AquaLighter Pico

Substrate
ADA Aquasoil

Hardscape
Pagoda stone

Flora
Fissidens sp. "Mini Taiwan"
Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba'
Riccardia chamedryfolia

This is my second dry start tank. Not sure if the HC will last once I flood since the light seems pretty dim. If anything, I may end up adding some crypt parva, buces or anubias chili. Anything that's miini/micro/pico!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha I wonder if this one will remain in emersed form indefinitely like your other one. Like the simplicity of the scape though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol! Thanks! This one has a lid, so way higher chance of getting flooded. Plus, I have some plants in mind that I'd like to put in this. 2-3 months of dsm only!

·
Registered
184 Posts
WOW! Love the simplicity of the scape. Where did you buy that awesome light and for how much? I really like the small and neat style this light has. I went to the aqualighter website and they also have an Aqualighter Nano.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So simple and awesome.
I can imagine some buces being attached at the base of the rock on the left side.
Definitely like it, now the long DSM wait haha
Yeah, I've been researching some mini and small buces w/ dark leaves. I'm still debating if I want the kind w/ wavy edges or not. I think a bunch of them would give the effect of palm trees lining the bottom of the mountain. I need some really, really small buces! Mini kedagang might look pretty good. I won't get them until after I flood though because I don't want to deal w/ the transition phase of buces. They're too expensive to deal w/ that. haha

WOW! Love the simplicity of the scape. Where did you buy that awesome light and for how much? I really like the small and neat style this light has. I went to the aqualighter website and they also have an Aqualighter Nano.
Thanks! The light was included in the set, but you can buy it separately here: Amazon.com : COLLAR AquaLighter Pico LED Lights for Freshwater Aquarium, Up to 3-Gallon : Pet Supplies. The LFS had the Pico set, so I got one. The Nano looks good too! This Pico one is really small, so if you want to go slightly bigger, that Nano would be good as well.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Good call on the 'Kedagang Mini' was gonna suggest the exact same thing. 'Catherine Mini' might also be good but it's leaves are more slender. But, yeah agree that dry starting Buceps is not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! I like big rocks in small tanks I had done something similar in a 0.9G a while back.
Thanks! Big rocks in small tanks are just so beautiful in their simplicity. I can't wait to flood this one.

Good call on the 'Kedagang Mini' was gonna suggest the exact same thing. 'Catherine Mini' might also be good but it's leaves are more slender. But, yeah agree that dry starting Buceps is not worth it.
I tried going some regular Kedagang in an emersed setup (I think they were submerged before) and they mainly melted. Only a couple of sprigs survived. Since they're so expensive, I don't want to risk that again. I'll have to wait a while though to get some buces for this.

Yea they could look really cool.
Excited for how this turns out, buces are quickly becoming one of my favourites!
Id say go Kedagang!
Thanks! I also like the dark coloration of them. Man, DSM takes so long!

===

Wanted to share an "updated" shot. Not much of a change since it's only been a week, but at least I cleaned the glass this time. Hehe

I added some flame moss in the background, but you won't be able to see it until it starts growing upwards. I also added a bit of riccardia chamedryfolia that will hopefully attach to the rock.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Added some "ultra mini" dark bucephelandra to the scape. Sorry, too lazy to crop. Heheh I think the buces were grown emersed because the leaves were pretty stiff once I got them. I think they get more delicate submerged. But hey, I'm a buce noob, what do I know? DSM continues! The HC is starting to climb the mountain like ivy. I guess it's going towards the light, which isn't very bright to begin with.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@BettaBettas Hahah Ok ok, you've pushed me enough to update. I forgot about these threads and have been kind of on autopilot lately w/ my tanks. Here's the most recent FTS. I did a trim recently, so it has to grow out again. I actually am not a huge fan of the flame moss background, so I should try to trim those down as well. The mountain is kind of getting lost w/ the flame moss so high. Sorry for the glare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts