The Planted Tank Forum banner

AquaKai' 2.5g Betta Tank

5648 Views 34 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  AquaKai
Hello! I have a 2.5g tank that's ready for a revamp! This will be my first great attempt at planting a tank, so be prepared there will be lots of questions:) It'll be the home to a betta and probably a snail as well, maybe even a few shrimp.

Specs:

Tank: 2.5 Mini Bow
Lights: x1 15w Compact Flourencent
Substrate: Currently Gravel
Filter: Some Tiny Air Pump Filter
Heater: Um... Still need to get one...
CO2:DIY? I'm not sure- questions will come!
Ferts: I've looked for excel but I cannot find it anywhere, any other ideas?

Here's a Picture of the tank currently:

Here's where some questions come in:)

1. I have Miracle Grow Potting Soil, I know that I can't just stick it in the tank, but I've read that if you bake it and sift it for all of the fertalizer that it can work. Is that true? The stuff that I have says that it can 'keep plants fertalized for 6 months' is that bad?

2. If I can use the Potting Soil or some how convince my mother to get the organic kind, how much, or how deep should it be? And the sand that goes on top as well? I think that I've read about and 1/2" to 1" of each. Is that wrong?

3. I have a 15w Compact Flourecent light over the tank. I've read lots of things about plants and lights but what does that all mean? It's about 2" from the water line if even that and the water line is about 7-8" off of the substance, which will be getting deeper (the substance I mean).

4. Ferts. I have little knowledge on ferts. I know that I need NO3 and Fe and K? Is that all? What brand of these are good? I have PetLand, PetCo, PetSmart and Jack's Pets around me and all of them have a very small collection of plant stuff. So would I need to buy it online?

5. CO2. If I did any CO2 I would do DIY. But I've read that it's tricky and I really don't want too tricky. Is it even worth doing DIY CO2 on a 2.5g tank? Would I be needing a drop checker? I've seen them online and they're $15-$20, so that's a tad bit out of the price range right now. So, the bottom question for this is: Should I do CO2?

6. Plants. I have java moss, marimo moss balls, and anubias afzelii. I'm thinking maybe some kind of carpet, if possible, moss, and some kind of plant for in the back. Any suggestions? I'd love to have Dwarf Sag or Blxya Japonica, frogbits, riccia or maybe HC, but those are all probably not good in my tank.

I think that's all for now. I know, you're all probably saying to yourselves, yay, she's done asking things! Thanks for reading this and hopefully answering some questions!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,003 Posts
3. Well 15 watts is the highest max. Wattage you can go on the stock hood. Just make sure the package for the light says "6500k". That's the color temperature plants can get the most light out of.
4. Seachem Flourish comprehensive is a good fert. You can find it at PetSmart.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Would a regular air stone work as well? I have a few of those lying around.
The regular airstones produce CO2 bubbles that aren't diffused into the water and just floats up to the surface. On the other hand, the limestone diffusers produce very fine bubbles that can be used by the plants.

Another way to diffuse the CO2 is to buy an Aquaclear 20 and stick the airline tubing up the intake pipe.

Also, I'm jealous! My ludwigia never pearls!

· Registered
1,003 Posts
I haven't heard/seen much (if any at all) success using an HOB to diffuse their CO2. I assume that the waterfall output of the HOB releases most of the CO2 into the air.

Tank looks good. Have you looked into rootcaps/substrate fertilizers? Also, check out RootMedic OneStep. It's now 14usd for 500mL, not sure on the shipping. Seachem Flourish is about 10-13usd at most large retail store.
The co2 bubbles get sucked up the intake and chopped up by the impeller. When I look inside my filter, I don't see any bubbles rising to the surface.

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Ok, so I need to add CO2 soon! It's a algae-y currently in the tank! The plants have really grown, but my betta knocked out some of the HC which I need to replant! Here's a picture of how it looks today:

Also for the CO2, should I use the limestone diffuser or the filter intake? I'm a little confused on that!
For the limewood airstone you would need to replace it every 3-4 weeks. Also, the filter intake method only works with filters that have impellers, like the aquaclear ones. The one you have right now is air powered, and wouldn't diffuse the CO2; there is no impeller to chop up the CO2 bubbles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.